Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traveling from Atlanta to Phoenix for dove hunting and Ben Avery Shooting Complex on Southwest. I have checked the regs just wanting to hear about your experiences.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Free if I keep it under 62" on airlines or I could pay to ship to me at my brothers. Flabigpapa says safer to ship which is probably right. Just wondered if anyone on here has had bad or good experiences taking them via the airlines.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've checked a lot of guns while flying on airlines. Never a problem but make sure you have a very good case and follow the rules. I've never flown out of Atlanta but have flown in and out of Phoenix many times. I'd buy the extra insurance if it's an expensive gun and case.

I'd also be interested in hearing about your dove hunt.

Good luck.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

·
Registered
464 Posts
MtnSteve, about a dozen of us fly from all over the south east through Atl. to Aberdeen S.D. pheasant hunting and back every year, and never had a problem. Mike

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Phoenix has a special area to pickup your guns. They didn't tell me when I checked in, wasted a lot of time at Phoenix airport.. thought guns were stolen. Finally a sky cap told us about the area.

Buster

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A couple of things...

1. Don't expect a case like an Americase to keep your gun safe. The sides are fiberboard and any sharp corner on another piece of luggage will go right through the sides and mess up your gun.

2. Don't be the first one at the airport. I've flown all over North America and the only two times I've had any problems, were when I was the first one there. My gun went to the bottom of the bin and when they load the plane, they start at the top. Both times, the cargo was full before my gun got on. Was a real PIA in Canada, because where I was guiding was 3 hours from the airport and the new regs in Canada wouldn't allow them to put the gun on a bus, like they used to, and have it delivered to the town I was staying in...I had to go get it.

Otherwise, nothing scary or procedurally bothersome, it goes quick and smooth. Just remember that you'll have to open the case at some point to prove it's unloaded, before you board.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Have flown all over the US with my Perazzis you are in luck in one area... Southwest is a gun friendly airline. First get a good case. I have a Rino case that looks like it's been through the war but it protects the gun great. Next... Get a good lock. I use a American padlock. Forget the TSA crap. When you get to the airport buy the extra baggage insurance. This puts the airline on notice that they will be paying if it grows legs. You can only buy up to $5,000 but it enough

Lastly stay calm but firm with the airlines. They don't want the hassle of the extra insurance but make them do it.

Then get on the plane and enjoy the trip.

T

·
5,236 Posts
While I can't speak about Atlanta, I have flown into Phoenix and flown on Southwest... DITTO on having a great case... not just a good one - I'm a Pelican believer... beat the hell out of it, or run a tank over it and the guns stay fine...

Jay

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Southwest is the only Airline we fly because they are less B.S. than the others and they are very gun friendly. In the last several years we have put multiple handguns thru Ind, Den, and Las without any problems at all. Now I do believe long gun cases could be a different story as our handguns are cased but also end up stuffed between clothes in the suitcases. I would be buying a heavy and tough case or simply shipping the gun ahead of me thru USPS Priority Mail, UPS or Fed Ex.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

Have flown all over the U.S. and overseas with firearms.

The only problem I have ever had in over thirty years of traveling with guns...

This past August leaving the Grand American...

At the St Louis airport Delta Airline ticket counter, the agent insisted that Delta Airlines did not allow guns and had no such thing at extended insurance or valuation coverage. The gun case still had all the tags where I had just flown in on Delta to St Louis with this gun and had the increased valuation tags. Took two hours to get it straightened out with this ticket agent -- the whole time using sweetness and kindness. I have never had any other problem with Delta and have used them a lot. And you would think that the major airport closest to the Grand American would have hundreds of guns coming through it during those two weeks.

Know, follow, and carry a copy of all appropriate regulations with you and be ready to pull them out. Know the airline computer code for "increased luggage valuation" for the airline that you are using. I have had ticket agents print it for me in advance of the day I travel so I have it with me when I get to the counter on the day of travel and have an agent who is new. Some agents know about "increased valuation" but genuinely don't relate it to the word "insurance".

As others have already said, get an appropriate heavy-duty gun case, good locks, get to the airport at least two hours in advance, and buy the increased luggage valuation coverage. Make sure they put the "increased insurance" tag on the gun case and not accidently on your personal luggage for clothing, etc. Don't wait until the day you are traveling to buy the case and locks.

Be ready, but I repeat that I have only had one bad instance in over thirty years of airline travel with guns.

Well, that doesn't count the one agent in Botswana who recorded a double-barrel elephant gun as a side-by-side shotgun. Fortunately, know one seemed to care when it came time for departure.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
You will fly under two sets of rules - the TSA guideline as well as the airlines own rules and regs.

Check BOTH.

You will need an 'airline approved' case - with locks that are NOT TSA compatible. You need to declare the guns at check in. You will be asked to open the case to verify that they are unloaded, you will also need to sign a declaration of same - a copy of which will be inserted into the case.

Case needs to be locked (I cover the locks/latches with duct tape at this point - can't tell you how many have been screwed up by luggage belts). It is then turned over to TSA who will scan it - you need to stay there until they say all is OK and you are then free to catch your flight (they might ask you to open the case). Suggestion here - position the firearms so that it is obvious they are non-firing in the case (e.g., remove bolts from rifles, lock pistols in the open position, etc.)

MOST airlines carry firearms as a limited release item so you typically need to wait in the baggage area for them to be brought out - you may be asked for the baggage stubs or ID.

Ammo can be carried in normal checked bags (typically up to 5 Kg/11 lbs) - must be in original boxes or cases specifically designed to carry them. Loaded magazines are a no-no.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
WOW...Which Part of Ship Ahead..Didn't You Understand...By the Time.You Buy a Good Case and Great Locks..You will of Paid the Shipping Too and From..Already.
You were Looking for a Hassle Free Trip...Like FedX sayes..Ship It and Forget It.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Shipping ahead is fine, but look at a) the number of firearms lost/stolen/damaged when shipped and b) the cost to ship firearms now (many carriers are now only accepting firearms as 'overnight' items).

Further, with the special handling regs for firearms airlines will generally do a very good job of carrying and delivering firearms - shouldn't ever need to worry about a 'lost bag' when a gun is involved...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Get a GREAT case!!! I have a case that when I bought it the guy told me it was airline approved. I thought.....great! Not that I was planning on taking one on a plane but if I did I would already have a case. WRONG!!!! The first time I used it I was pushing it in the bed of the truck and the corner hit a bolt head and broke! I thought WOW good thing I wasn't at the airport I have seen what they do to luggage! I didn't pay top dollar for the case so wasn't surprised when it happened. But it is suppose to be airline approved!!!! So spend the money for a GREAT CASE!!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I already have an airline approved aluminum impact case with a great locking system and the lock. I will check on the cost of airline insurance but I can't imagine it is that much. Think I'll chance the airlines based on the general comments I'm getting on TS. Thanks for all your advise.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

The reason I buy the increased valuation on the gun is not really to cover the gun if it disappears or is damaged.

It is because the gun is hand-transferred from person to person during its travels with signatures required by each possessing party.

No one in the airline system wants to be involved in an audit of a loss involving that system.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Cabela's Aluminum Bullet proof case. Mine has made 7 round trips from Traverse City, Mi via Minniapolis to Bismark ND. It now looks like it has been around the world a few times but is still intact. Have flown Delta and American with no problem.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
The cost of the insurance is typically $1 per $100 of value

The airlines typically give you $1500 to $2500 of coverage free so you only hVe to buy the excess to $5000 maximum

Tom

1 - 20 of 28 Posts