Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody.
I am going to be attending the Spring Grand out in Tucson in February and need to take a flight from Northern IL out to AZ. I would like to know what gun cases you kind folk use for air travel and what to look out for. Thanks in advance.
Ps. If it helps any I have a K80 TS combo.
Thank you,
Chase H

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 on the pelican, I recently went though UPS to have my gun(K80 combo in an Americase) shipped to the OTC out in Colorado springs. Took it to the UPS store and went the extra mile to make sure it was packed correctly and arrive without issues. Arrived without issues however the way back home the box arrived smashed and pretty beat up. I expected nothing of it as it was in an Amercase however when unpacking, the corners of the Americase have separated with a notable gap where the trim pieces meet on 3 of the 4 corners. Not quite sure how this happened as I have heard of many people using Americases without issue.

·
5,113 Posts
I use the Browning Travel Vault... a Pelican takedown case with wheels. The outside gets bruised, but the inside stays pristine.

Reactions: ljutic73

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
SKB w/wheels.........did a trip from New England to Phoenix last spring. Followed Jet Blues directions to a tee..........smooth sailing.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Pelican. Holds two guns, cut foam to your liking, wheels, no worries if the case gets scuffed on the outside, all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am about ready to ship UPS or FED X ahead of time. Too much drama.

In 1978 I arrived at the Denver airport late for my flight to Iowa to hunt pheasants with my model 12. They allowed me to carry it on in its cheap vinyl case and the flight attendant put it in the closet for the trip. Change is not always good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Americase is built like a brick shithouse, I used a Pelican for hunting in Alaska and it doesn't seem as tough as the Americase. The rampers will toss your case around like it's nothing so don't use a Negrini or plastic, case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pelican.

An Americase rep at the Grand once told me that they get 1-2 cases back a day for repair that had been damaged by airlines or shipping. I'm not quite sure he realized he wasn't representing his brand very well.

I have, I think, 8 diferent Pelicans in various shapes and sizes for a few different hobbies. They're far sturdier than an Americase. One of them is over 20 years old and has flown all over the world on at least 200 flights and, with the exception of one broken latch which was replaced for free in less than 5 minutes is still as solid as the day it was made.

I have several Americases and a few Negrini as well but they're for trips to the club, not for flying or shipping.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I bought a Pelican case for a trip to Argentina. They made it through Miami and Santiago Chili without a mark on them. Perfect cases for airline travel
John

1 - 20 of 24 Posts