Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here know a lot about them? Thinking of buying one for the wife and I to go out on the flats in Florida. Thanks, Bulge.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
I know nothing about them, but I would love to ride in one someday. Those things just look like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
15,451 Posts
Took a trip in the glades a few years back on one. Fast and maneuverable.
LOUD! The way to get around swamp land.

Believe they use AVgas so can be expensive. Fun as hell too.

·
Molon Labe
11,984 Posts
My brother was a National Wildlife Refuge manager, and one time he was managing Sand Lake NWR in S Dak, they had a bad assed air boat (go figure the giverment) I would go out with him whenever I went up there, the first time he had go give me the big ride we were going about 70 and he turned to go through a huge stand of reeds, I was in the front, talk about almost getting beat to death with cattails LOL

It wasn't bad but it sure was fun

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Bulge,

On of my passions is shallow water fishing in the "Big Bend" area of the Gulf of Mexico. Been doing it for over 40 years.

Air boats are not really a good "flats" boat, but are probably the best option for fishing the tidal creeks during the winter months when the tides are exceptionally low (a great time to fish for trout/reds). Be careful of fiberglass hulls in this environment as there are large flint rocks everywhere in and around the creeks/shorelines that can and will knock a hole in the bottom of a fiberglass hull. An aluminum hull air boat is a much better choice IMO.

A tunnel hull or pocket drive skiff/flats boat is a much better choice for fishing the flats.

You're more than welcome to PM me to discuss this subject further.

Good Luck and Good Fishing!

·
Registered
181 Posts
You are in the middle of airboat country. There are lots of manufacturers around those parts. Diamondback is a known manufacturer and there are many others. The florida airboat association would offer lots of help I'm sure. My FIL has one and has attended a large ride they have annually on Lake George. Their website is fla-airboat-assoc. Just like any other hobby, shooting, motorcycles, etc., airboaters love to talk about them. Contact the airboat association and I am sure you can have all of the information you need. I was in Steinhatchee recently and spent a couple days with a guy who had just taken delivery of 383 stroker powered boat. Upwards of 50k but a lot of fun. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know nothing about them, but I would love to ride in one someday. Those things just look like a lot of fun.
They are a lot of fun. We have been out on one several times. It's a blast. Bulge.

Claypoppy, we will be going out around the Citrus river in Hommasassa and out to the gulf. Fun times mainly, possibly some fishing when we are tired of the fun. Bulge.

I'm going to have to sell my San Remo to fund this hobby.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Claypoppy, we will be going out around the Citrus river in Hommasassa and out to the gulf. Fun times mainly, possibly some fishing when we are tired of the fun. Bulge.
Bulge,

Know this area....rocky as hell!!!!

Everything I previously stated applies to this area. Great fishing once you learn it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am a native Floridian , Been in lots of Air Boats , they are fun as hell but are not the greatest fishing boats. For obvious reasons can't fly fish out of them well, which is what I did in the Indian River and Mosquito lagoon on the East coast. The one real issue is that they are flat bottomed , so the weather needs to be very good to go over open water. A little chop and watch out. I agree with the other gentlemen find a good Flats boat. 40 plus years fishing in and around the waters of that state..

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My brother has one. His is powered by an air cooled corvair engine. Loud has hell and absolutely no reverse, so if you run it aground, you have a problem. Or if you are trying to get it into a certain spot, good luck. They also can definitely flip over.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I 100% agree with claypoppy.

Airboats are fun, especially when they are somebody else's. They are so loud you can't even think. The prop chop make you internals vibrate for a couple hours after you are back on land.

·
Premium Member
18,250 Posts
Wasn't the a show called 'Everglades" back in the 60's? Or am I drinking, er dreaming?

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Airboats were invented out of necessity and they will do what no other boat will do, but as others have stated, they have severe limitations and are one of the more dangerous boats you can operate. There are lots better choices if you are just looking for a boat to fish out of or have fun in.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
When I was stationed in Anchorage Alaska in the Army I had a friend who was a welder in the Air Force. We would fish the salmon runs in August on the Kenai River. He had an airboat. It had a 327 Chevy motor with straight pipes. We would go up the river in that thing and you could here it for a mile either way. What a blast running on the river with it. That thing would fly going upstream.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wasn't the a show called 'Everglades" back in the 60's? Or am I drinking, er dreaming?
Yes there was a show called Everglades, which has me thinking about all the westerns that were on in the 60's. It would be fun to try and list them all. Have Gun Will Travel, Laramie, The Rifleman, Maverick, The Derringer, Sugarfoot, Rawhide, Wagon Train, on and on.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Going out in the flats buy the best life jacket you can afford.
Airboats are strictly a flat shallow water boat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts