Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know this thread probably belongs in the shooting events/clinics section but I was hoping to catch more eyes and idk if a lot of people check that section.

Anyway, I have been looking into the AIM shooting school's training packages with and without Anthony Matarese. My friend and I are looking to go try it out. We are currently shooting 22-24 in singles with the occasional 25 but we would like to get a little more consistent and get more of those elusive 25s. Don't get me wrong I love to practice but as a Marine, I know it definitely helps your shooting performance when you have some fundamental instruction, coaching, and little mental mantras to say to yourself while shooting.

My question is: Does anyone have any experience with that place? Have you heard anything good/bad?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
In the trapshooting world, I've never heard of Anthony Matarese. If you are wanting to shoot trap, learn from a trapshooter. There are several All Americans who give clinics. I continue to market Leo Harrison's instructional video. Google him, he is a legend that was lost too soon, there is also a clip on YouTube to view.
No one has won more Grand American championships than he did in his 45 year shooting career.
If you need more information, PM me or email [email protected]
good shooting.....
Mrs. Leo Harrison III

·
Premium Member
12,470 Posts
Anthony is a great young man - his focus is on sporting clays and FITASC.

Trapwife is not wrong, if your focus is solely on trap - if you wish to improve your shooting across the board (sporting clays, skeet, hunting, etc.) a trip to Anthony might open your eyes.

A 'group lesson' for two people can be a very valuable tool - you can watch the other shoot and see what he does (right & wrong) instead of someone trying to tell you what you are doing. Take lots of shells - you can shoot a whole bunch with him...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trap is the discipline for me. So I would like my instruction/clinic/training to be trap focused. I noticed he is a sporting clays guy.
Not discrediting skeet, sporting and other disciplines. I have tried them but nothing is as fun to me as trap is. At least at this point in my life anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,470 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
12,470 Posts
Here you go - below is his cell number.

Just so you know he has had some health issues of late - still woking - just at a reduced pace. Tell him I gave you his number (David D)

609-231-6187

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
There's something to be said for a Instructor that can watch you shoot, see what you're doing wrong, and most important, be able to tell would to do different to correct the issues.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
No disrespect intended, I just don't recommend anyone I don't know and I know a lot of trapshooters. I personally wouldn't go to any instructor, for any sport, who wasn't a known name within that particular sport. Maybe having been with Leo Harrison III for almost 25 years, I look at things differently.
good luck and good shooting to all...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you want to reach your fullest potential regarding how to shoot a shotgun and break clay targets "flying though the air," there is absolutely no one better than Anthony. If you just want to shoot trap, find an instructor who specializes in ATA disciplines. I took a Nora Ross clinic and found what she taught very useful for ATA stuff and recommend her highly.

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Anthony Matarese is one of the premier shooters in the US. Not only a top 5 in Sporting and FITASC, but recently decided to go after an Olympic team spot in International Trap and has been very successful in short order.

Some of you may think he is not qualified to help a trap shooter, but think about it: Gun fit, head down, shot routine, and consistancy work in any shotgun application, and he has learned to shoot birds much tougher than trap and been very successful at it, plus his family owns a gun club.

Trap, or helping someone in trap should not be a big transition for him.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Anthony is well known in sporting and has won just about everything you can imagine on both sides of the pond. Not knocking anyone but he is very highly thought of in shooting and FITASC and bunker is about as tough as they come as far as clay targets go. Leo, of course, is a legend and anything he produced would be top notch.

·
5,317 Posts
If Kim Rhode offered a clinic in American Trap... ANYONE consider that a waste of time or dollars?

I come from the perspective that more shooting improves your shooting. Good instruction in clay shooting can only serve to improve your game and Matarese is an acknowledged expert...

My $0.02...

Reactions: JACK

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hank,
you are already shooting some nice sores in trap.
You are also doing the right thing by looking to get some extra learning from someone who can review what you are doing.
Sometimes that can come free from a guy at your club if you are shooting with top shooters. Sometimes you may find a pay clinic very helpful. Keep written notes from both of these sources.
I don't know Anthony. But I follow his work. He is well regarded and has many podiums against the best in the world.
I would be very surprised if you came away from his clinic and had not learned quite a bit.
If your proximity and wallet allows you to try it I sure would.
That would be the same for Nora Ross, Harlan Campbell, Phill Kiner or others still with us.
A day spent with any top shooter will have so many subtle details that you pick up. But you have to be open to hear them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts