Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was shooting some practice rounds today at the vacant local club and had my first ever Aguila squib shell. Wouldn't fire in 3 different guns. So what's a guy to do when hunkered down inside? I cut it apart to satisfy my curiosity. I've never used these on the pattern board out of my 682, but they break clays well if I do my part. These are the "red" boxed competition loads, 1250fps advertised, #8 shot 1-1/8oz.

Anyway, this is the wad I pulled from that squib.

It's identical to these, on BPI's website: Piston Skeet Light 12ga 25mm wad (250/bag)-ballisticproducts.com

BPI called them "Piston Skeet Light" but Aguila puts them in their trap loads and they work fine. I may have to order a few bags and load some up. I like them

Anybody else use these wads?

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Screenshot_20200406-094433_Chrome.jpg
Was shooting some practice rounds today at the vacant local club and had my first ever Aguila squib shell. Wouldn't fire in 3 different guns. So what's a guy to do when hunkered down inside? I cut it apart to satisfy my curiosity. I've never used these on the pattern board out of my 682, but they break clays well if I do my part. These are the "red" boxed competition loads, 1250fps advertised, #8 shot 1-1/8oz.

Anyway, this is the wad I pulled from that squib.

It's identical to these, on BPI's website: Piston Skeet Light 12ga 25mm wad (250/bag)-ballisticproducts.com

BPI called them "Piston Skeet Light" but Aguila puts them in their trap loads and they work fine. I may have to order a few bags and load some up. I like them

Anybody else use these wads?
I'm pretty sure that the wad that you removed from the Aguila Red, is the Piston Skeet, part number #072PISK and not the Piston Skeet Light.
Either way, both wads are manufactured by Gualandi and the OEM part # is,
BRS23. It's a straight walled wad that's actually quite popular.
If your looking for data, give BPI a call,
They have a very large data base for their components.
MG

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
Looks like the wad I pulled out of some Aguila handicap loads last spring. Mark is right, this is a Gualandi wad.

If I can get my hands on more, I will test the hardness of the shot again.

Last spring, the shot was just as hard as AA's and Nitros.

The Aguila shells worked well for me at the Grand.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you look closely at the powder?
I did, it was very fine flake-style, very bright. But I haven't used enough different shotgun powders to be able to identify it on sight. I was surprised actually, for the dozen or so cases of these that I've shot this was the first one that didn't make smoke. On Sportsman's Warehouse website the price of these has jumped from $5.99/box to $7.49/box and they're limiting you to two (2) boxes.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark is right, this is a Gualandi wad.
Yes. Oddly the website states "Typical loads: ¾ to 7/8 oz clay target and light field" and Aguila loads them to 1-1/8 oz. Specs or whatever, I like them.

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
Its the sold by Ballistic products. I dont remember how it spelled but something like gaulianai. Somewhere in that neighbor hood. Two expensive. I believe it's European.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Most of the wads imported by BPI are stitched. If you have a progressive press, make sure it will go in the wad guide before you order them.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
I just finished my second Scotch. But, a better question would have been, what kind of terbacky did they put in your cigar?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've shot a couple of flats of the 1 1/8 oz. HDCP and the 1 oz. @ 1325 fps. and cut them both open - both have the above referenced wad. I don't understand why they load 1 1/8 oz. in a 1 oz. wad but they do perform very well.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
I've shot a couple of flats of the 1 1/8 oz. HDCP and the 1 oz. @ 1325 fps. and cut them both open - both have the above referenced wad. I don't understand why they load 1 1/8 oz. in a 1 oz. wad but they do perform very well.
Remington does the exact same thing with the Nitro27.
Instead of using the 1 1/8 oz Figure 8 wad, like the STS shells use, they opt for the 1 oz TGT12 wad.
They perform flawlessly, so why question it?
MG

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Remington does the exact same thing with the Nitro27.
Instead of using the 1 1/8 oz Figure 8 wad, like the STS shells use, they opt for the 1 oz TGT12 wad.
They perform flawlessly, so why question it?
MG
I don't know MG, but it seems different as to what Most of the shotshell mfgs. are doing on the 1 1/8 oz. loads to protect the pellets as it travels through the muzzle. Maybe that practice is without merit., I don't know, as I'm not a ballistician, obviously.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
I don't know MG, but it seems different as to what Most of the shotshell mfgs. are doing on the 1 1/8 oz. loads to protect the pellets as it travels through the muzzle. Maybe that practice is without merit., I don't know, as I'm not a ballistician, obviously.
Me neither, but if it's ok with Remington, it's certainly ok with me.
MG

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Using these in a progressive will slow down the process. I doubt if this wad patterns better than wads without stitching. These work fine in a single stage press.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts