Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at shot show and noticed Aguila's mini shotshells for clays and while I normally don't use their ammo I wanted to see what people on here thought about them. I watched people shoot them and they sounded almost like a 22 and they could be great for those that are really recoil sensitive. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
i bought a couple of boxes and shared them with my squadmates. fun to shoot, zero recoil and low noise. and then broke clays just fine from the 16.

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
I had a box at one of our clinics in Clarks Summit about 15 years ago. I was impressed. I shot 10 shots doubles and 10 shots from 27 broke 19 out of twenty. Even Harlan commented about how well they worked on the first shot of the doubles. Breaks were good but no smoke.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I recall a guy that use to shoot those shorty's shells years ago. He must have made the shells from standard shells then reloaded them, but I don't recall the brand name. And I don't remember any company making them, but maybe there were. Does anyone remember anyone making/selling a reloading kit for those shorty's back in those days?

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
I just looked up a distributor for some. At a buck per shell, I'd say they'll remain an oddity.
Yes there a novelty. I looked on Ammoseek click here: 12 gauge ammo shotgun Aguila mini and they go for 11.99 still too expensive for target shooting. I have hunted with them and its a joy to have 10 or 15 in your pocket they take up no space and weigh almost nothing,

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I recall a guy that use to shoot those shorty's shells years ago. He must have made the shells from standard shells then reloaded them, but I don't recall the brand name. And I don't remember any company making them, but maybe there were. Does anyone remember anyone making/selling a reloading kit for those shorty's back in those days?
How far back do you want to go and how short ? I have a PW 375 Press and it has a 2and 1/2 inch shell kit. MEC 600 can be adapted to do the same. You can take an empty case and truly load by hand with over powder / shot cards and wads then roll crimp. Use a nail to remove primer. A case sized dowel to reprime case . Powder/over powder wad/shot/over shot card/ roll crimp.. = 2" shell.--- THAT'S the old way.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have shoot them at skeet they work well, I even started cutting shells and wads and loading my own lots of fun. I did ok shooting from the 16 with them but not much further.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Saw some in a store a while back. Thought I might use to prove to kids that you can break birds effectively from 16yds. (Im a proponent of 1 oz loads to manage recoil). High schoolers are sometimes hard to convince!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts