Trapshooters Forum banner

Age of guns

2K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  Diesel_ss 
#1 ·
Looking around at used guns, and 1 caught my eye. Found out it was made in 1988. Looks good from the pictures, unfortunately can't look in person.
Would something this old be a turn off?
Are there any downfalls to buying something this old? Any thoughts?

#9 · (Edited)
You can't go wrong with a Krieghoff. Get the serial numbers from the buyer and call a Krieghoff dealer. They can tell you the last time the gun was serviced. Then you'll know if the gun needs a service. This may help you get a few hundred dollars off the asking price, if she needs a service.
PS Lots of shooters prefer that old style. The opening lever re-cocks the firing pin when you open it. So you need a strong thumb to open them. The only down side I know of. If you want to call it a down side. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

#18 ·
I did email them, they only told me the year, didn't state anything about needing service.
I believe the K-gun dealer needs the name of the shooter to look up the guns maintenance record!!! If the shotgun was owned by 2 shooters since it was made. You would need to know both shooters names to look up the entire service record. Not sure why Krieghoff does it this way. Just a FYI as it were. break em all jeff

#17 · (Edited)
Wow looks like older is ok.
Is it that people get comfortable and don't want to change?
Older is ok if taken care of. My trap gun is a 1978 Wingmaster TB. My sporting gun is a 1999 Ruger Red Label. Just an aside, I can’t hit the broadside of a barn from inside with a Perazzi but that’s just me. Good luck with the Krieghoff.

#20 ·
Looking around at used guns, and 1 caught my eye. Found out it was made in 1988. Looks good from the pictures, unfortunately can't look in person.
Would something this old be a turn off?
Are there any downfalls to buying something this old? Any thoughts?
I have guns from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Newest Perazzi i shoot is a MX7 circa 1995. Several P guns from 60's to early 70's. Age not scare me, only condition.

#21 ·
My trap guns cover the years from 1902 (Winchester Model 1897) all the way up to the 1950s & 60s (Winchester Model 12 & Model 50, a Bernardelli hammer double & a Browning Double Automatic). Bunch in between, but nothing newer than that & they all shoot better than I do ;)

#23 ·
We're not talking rocket science here. O/Us are pretty basic, relatively simple machines. There hasn't been a lot of revolutionary technology in the O/U competition shotgun world in the century. Interchangeable chokes, adjustable ribs, adjustable stocks, better machining tolerances...maybe higher quality steel as of the early 1950s...that's about it. I compete with some guns dating back to the early 1980s. I'd have no problem shooting shotguns even from the 1960s and 1970s. As long as they're maintained, shotguns can last a long time.

#24 ·
I shoot both a TM1 and a TM9. Both are of equal quality. The latter was unfired when it landed in my hands. I've done some fussing to get the TM1 right....stock, locking block, Wilkinson barrel work, etc. If I could only keep one....it would be an easy decision (TM1). Just something about an older gun. And don't even get me started about my Model 12, which I still shoot regularly. Just remember, a lot of the old stuff has been ridden hard and put to bed wet. Condition is EVERYTHING. A lightly used, properly kept, older safe queen is a treasure.

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.