Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,
In early October I was involved in a car accident where someone side swiped me and shoved me into a median on the highway. The Good Lord was watching over me and I'm healthy, just trying to get everything back to what it used to be. I was wondering if any member of this amazing community had any exercises to relieve pain in my lower back, neck and shoulders that would help while shooting. I find myself struggling trying to finish a round or two of trap. Defiantly opposite of last season. I just want to get back to where I was at the end of the target year last year. Any advice is more than appreciated!
Thanks everybody, hope to see you all next year
-Chase Horton

·
Vendor
744 Posts
You have to point your gun a lot at home to get back in shape. Point at anything like your garage door hinges or get a Wall Chart.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'm sure he did not.

As another poster said mounting your gun uses the muscles you use to shoot with.
That would isolate and tone just those.
Yoga, stretching is also good.
Assume doctor says you have no issues doing any of this.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
As suggested, if you haven't seen a doctor, do that BEFORE you start any type of physical activity trying to improve your situation. You could actually make it worse by doing the wrong thing.

I am a BIG fan of physical therapy. My doctor actually wrote me a prescription to see one and my medical insurance picked up part of the cost.

If your doctor agrees with this course of action, make some appointments to let them do some hands-on work. They will also give you a series of home movements/light exercises that will target the specific area.

I've suggested this to friends before, and all of them were pleased with the results.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Good Luck with your recovery.
I have had several injuries over the years including car accidents.

A good physiotherapist is worth there weight in gold.
They can help get you back to where you were.

Go to someone who specializes in dealing with athletes.
Your a young guy and should be looking for a complete recovery.

I am surprised your Doctor hasn't pointed you in that direction.
I would layoff shooting until cleared by my Doctor and physiotherapist.

If you are struggling to finish a round you should not be shooting yet.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

West

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Hello everybody,
In early October I was involved in a car accident where someone side swiped me and shoved me into a median on the highway. The Good Lord was watching over me and I'm healthy, just trying to get everything back to what it used to be. I was wondering if any member of this amazing community had any exercises to relieve pain in my lower back, neck and shoulders that would help while shooting. I find myself struggling trying to finish a round or two of trap. Defiantly opposite of last season. I just want to get back to where I was at the end of the target year last year. Any advice is more than appreciated!
Thanks everybody, hope to see you all next year
-Chase Horton
Chase, while I believe most of the posters are well meaning, be careful of what procedure/practice/recommendation you follow. It as a couple have stated, can further detail the region that's exibiting discomfort.

I'll tell you similar to what "bossbasi" stated. Find someone who is qualified in sports medicine, osteopathic care, or chiropractor.

Now i know your 16 and wontwowant to hear this,the one comment I would say don't do is "hippies". Done properly, it's strains the lower back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the input. I have been seeing a chiropractor ever since the accident. I was just wondering if their were any exercises or changes to my shooting that would help the end result.
P.S I just celebrated my 19th birthday.. Wish I was 16 again lol

Thank you all
-Chase H

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Thank you all for the input. I have been seeing a chiropractor ever since the accident. I was just wondering if their were any exercises or changes to my shooting that would help the end result.
P.S I just celebrated my 19th birthday.. Wish I was 16 again lol

Thank you all
-Chase H
Crap. Where does the time go? Next you will tell me I'm not 30 anymore. Feel free to follow Hippies advice. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Decades ago (nearly 4) I did quite a bit of home brewing and wine making.
5 gallon carboys aren't THAT heavy, i.e. they don't SEEM heavy so I didn't bother with the "lift with your legs, not your back" stuff.
It turned out that it was hard on my back, reaching forward with about 45 lb and stooping over to place them.

Anyway, a Chiro not only straightened me out, he clued me in to the "Williams" exercises.
I haven't been back to him since the early 80s, nowadays if I get a twinge I get down on the floor and self align.
Look 'em up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts