Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appreciate some advice: I have not shot much (Maybe 200 shots total) during the past 1.5 years due to a healing shoulder and an operation for cataracts. I also put self on a diet and lost 20 lbs. I am a right handed, two eyed shooter. Now I find that two SBT trap guns of mine, both of which I really enjoy, are beating me on the cheekbone and causing a welt after about 50 shots. This did not happen in the past with either gun. I am not quite sure if this is due to "shooter error with the mount" or due to a new gunfit. Friends say that I do look somewhat thinner in the face. I went from about 195 lbs. to 175 lbs., so was never obese, but overweight.

Any advice appreciated; I have been advised to add moleskin to the (adjustable) combs on both gun, but am not sure if that would do much.

Anybody else "been there and done that?"

Advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
The pitch on your gun might not be right for your new body type. Make sure the recoil pad is in full contact with your shoulder, so it doesn't rock up as you shoot. Mark

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It sounds like the gun does not fit you. I might be a problem with the pitch of the stock. If you like the gun, take it to a stock fitter and he can recommend adjustments to make the gun fit.

John

·
Registered
874 Posts
I just talked to Rod of Rods Custom Stocks today. He is making a soft comb for my K80. He has made several for me over the years. For me this is the fix for cheek slap. Might be a pitch issue but Rods comb work has always been a big help for me.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
losing 20# surely made your face thinner, first thing I would check is gun mount,bet you are mounting gun too hard or not staying in gun during shot due too losing facial weight

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Take the screw out of the top of recoil pad.Stick in a couple of small washers or anything to space it a small amount. Then try. If this fixes it you can buy pitch spacers or see a stock guy to fix.

Terry D.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Part of the problem may involve being away from shooting the shotgun for an extended period and having lost muscle in your upper body due to the surgery downtime.

In addition to the suggestions for evaluating gun fit, perhaps you need more time to get some of that lost muscle back and kind of ease back into the shooting. If you aren't already shooting the softest loads possible you should move that direction asap. Good time to build some moderate vel 7/8 Oz or even 3/4 Oz target loads!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Also try a Gold Bond Friction Bar on your cheek in the meantime. You can find it in the pharmacy isles. Rub it on your cheek before you shoot. It allows the gun stock to slide a little on your face until you find the reason for the slap.

Also , you might try negative pitch if the the spacers on top don't work. That's what eased my slap.

Good luck.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Pitch can certainly be an issue and lost weight, but lets get a few facts.

First are you right or left handed and is the gun a right or left hand cast gun?

Are you bringing your head to the gun or your gun to your head. Example if you have the gun mounted low on the shoulder and then bring your face down to the gun, you will result in some cheek issues.

If you are right handed are you right eye dominate? If not a left dominant person will lay their head across the stock to see the beads and then, ouch.

Are you using light loads.

Is the stock aligned to your face and eye to see directly down the rib or does the comb have to be offset. I have mine offset 3/8 of an inch to achieve alignment.

Is your stance nose over the toes, 60% of the weight forward or are you bent way over. A person bent way over, will tend to tip the head back slightly on the gun and get slapped.

Are you holding the gun in tight to the shoulder or are you favoring the shoulder because it is not quit ready?

Is your face forward on the stock and is the stock the right length for you and not too long? Length of pull. Too long or too short on the stock causes cheek slap too.

I would recommend you have a coach or stock fitter help you with adjustments. Hope you answer back?

Primedust

·
Registered
16 Posts
http://www.meadowindustries.com

Recoil Slip Pad

This works for me and my son also not very expensive. Just put on on my BT99 Tuesday evening have one on my O/U. Give it a look at the website above.

Hunters3

·
Registered
578 Posts
When ever I lose weight I make my stock longer, just like in winter when I have more clothes on I shoot a shorter stock, when you lose weight it's like taking off your coat.

I recommend zero pitch, Dave Berlet and I did a u tube video on the subject of pitch. Just u tube search my name and stock fit, it's about 5 min or so long, it mite help you.

Brad Dysinger

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Pipe Layer nailed it. Your mount has changed due to the weight loss. Your pad toe (bottom end) is making primary contact with your shoulder and acting as a pivot point. This causes you gun to move up at discharge. The pad MUST make full contact with your shoulder pocket to prevent this. Use pipe layers suggestion and add a couple of washers between the heel (top) of the stock and the heel of the butt pad. It may take one, two or several washers dependent on your "new" shoulder pocket.

I lost 40 lbs. last year...

Doc

·
Registered
518 Posts
Suggest a butt plate that you can turn the bottom toward your arm pit. Close your eyes and mount the gun, If your have a snowman with the beads you do not need to move the comb. Are your mounting the gun so high your neck hurts? Moveable( up, down,in, out) butt plate may be the answer. I am working on getting down to 175 also. AND then there is always a PFS, they are sweet.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I refitted my doubles gun myself with some added length and a Rocker pad with a pitch spacer...and it helped...may add even more length...no gunfitters up here in S. Alberta that I'd trust...so I do it myself.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Every gun I've ever owned, despite "fitting" has banged my cheek. Probably a Daisy BB gun would raise a welt.

I put a stick-on cheek comb on all my trap guns. Around $20, any thickness you want. Amazing what 1/16" of soft can do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had same problem, tried the moleskin and it tore open my cheek. It was a pitch problem, added pieces of cardboard to top of butt plate until gun slap was gone, then cut stock down, added a spacer with right pitch, with a kick ez. Slap free now with better than ever scores.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Be sure to try the washers on the bottom of the recoil pad if when you place them on the top, it doesn't improve. I had a custom stock made for me by a world class stock fitter in Ohio and the test stock was really nailing my cheek. He had his shop worker add more down pitch to it and it got worse. Then added up pitch and it got better. So down pitch isn't always the answer. Certainly surprised him. Me too!!! Hope this helps. Joe

·
Registered
850 Posts
A 3K custom made stock from a professional fitter/stock maker might help, fiddling with pitch could help some, increasing weight of gun and reducing power and shot charge will help. The simplest, cheapest, 100% effective fix is 3/16 or 1/4 inch stick on cheek pad. I have had bruised cheeks, torn skin and will not shoot trap loads ( 1 1/8 oz. ) without one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts