Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wife, bless her heart, went and purchased a new parallel rib Beretta 391 to learn about the various shotgun games. However, the choke tube keeps getting loose. Gun has the extended silver choke tubes and can with 5! Nice touch, but I put grease on the threads and tightened, but still gets loose. What has anybody found that keeps chokes from getting loose, but still allows quick changing of chokes..like if we want to try some sporting clays or go shoot skeet etc.?

(I'm proud of her, she picked out the gun, a good choice!)

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
David, I have always had same problem with 303 mobil chokes. I just carry my wrench and check it several times a day when shooting a lot. I am afraid to tighten too much for fear I will have a stuck choke??

·
Registered
667 Posts
The teflon tape seems to be the path of least resistance. I use it sparingly, just enough to do the deed, as the walls are pretty thin. deadeye45

·
Registered
714 Posts
Another vote for teflon tape. I have 2 guns , different makes, with this problem. Wrench is garbage. Grease and anti-sieze are messy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wilkinson give you a tapered metal wrench, that I could never get to work well. I have used a speed wrench that has a rubber shaft that you tighten with a knob on top of the wrench. It works great. I know that Shotgun sports magazine sells them if you can not find one locally. Bruce

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Grease did not work for me. K-80 with Kolar tubes.

Another vote for Teflon tape. Cheap, easy, no mess, and it works.

Don

·
Supporting Vendor
5,325 Posts
Choke tubes should have driver slots for a REAL wrench. If chokes are tightened properly with a wrench they will not come loose of leak.

The extended chokes in my Remington 1100 Sporting .410 leaked and came loose. I milled driver slots in the chokes and made a choke wrench. No more leaking or loosening!

Jim Skeel

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I have Tom Wilkinson tubes in my barrel . Never get loose very easy to clean and Bruce Wilkinson makes a new choke tube wrench now and will send you one free .

ALF

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Based on my limited experience, all extended chokes loosen. I change stations, check my extended choke, give it a twist if necessary, and set my feet.

I also check my forend cap on my 391, which has a tendency to loosen.

Consider this a minor inconvenience for having a gun that caresses your cheek, rather than kick you in the face.

Danny

·
Registered
723 Posts
Ditto for checking every time you go out. My Comp N' Chokes may get loose after 3-4 rounds .....then I hand tighten for another 3-4 rounds. Comp N' Choke's have a nice hole that a 16 penny nail will go thru to take them out /tighten them. Just a lil choke tube lube and it's good to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.