Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am finishing up a new trap field. I have been using old Western traps and have one that has been very reliable. I am looking to go with a more modern trap and not have to load so often. I have 4 new Lincoln skeet machines and have done well with them. Shyda's has always been good at helping when needed. Before just going with the Lincoln ATA500 I wanted some input. Has anyone had experience with Mec machines? How about LaPort? Also, do I need a trap house with a higher roof to accommodate the larger turret? Any input at all will be appreciated.

PS. I own a small, private shooting facility in PA.
I just finished a field myself and we installed a PAT trap. Easy to use and maintain. throw doubles , wobble or straight trap. Work great. La Port are not for Trap....

·
Registered
812 Posts
Call Pat Trap in NH and they will answer all your questions honestly. A field rep can follow up. Reconditioned machines work fine and save a few grand. Buy it with wobble feature if possible. A very fun change from singles and doubles. Have the rep quote you installed to save you frustration. In cold weather operation we use a barn unit heater.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our club has 2 Pats and 2 Superstars. The superstar holds more targets and has required a lot less maintenance. Don’t get me wrong the Pat trap is a nice machine but just looking at it, they are kind of chinsey compared to the superstar. Almost looks like it was made it someone’s garage. However I didn’t realize superstar was no longer in business, parts are definitely still available though, I believe someone else took over the company.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We don't shoot much in the winter. What is the issue with hydraulics?
The issue with hydraulic is that the oil gets thick when cold and it changes the speed and distance of the targets. We use ours all winter and get around that problem by installing a 1500W electric heater in the trap house... turn it on about an hour before shooting starts and no problem. Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Our club has 2 Pats and 2 Superstars. The superstar holds more targets and has required a lot less maintenance. Don’t get me wrong the Pat trap is a nice machine but just looking at it, they are kind of chinsey compared to the superstar. Almost looks like it was made it someone’s garage. However I didn’t realize superstar was no longer in business, parts are definitely still available though, I believe someone else took over the company.
The only parts are what QRP has and they're out of most. No one took over the company! QRP, did buy the inventory of parts.
Those machines are antiquated.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
The issue with hydraulic is that the oil gets thick when cold and it changes the speed and distance of the targets. We use ours all winter and get around that problem by installing a 1500W electric heater in the trap house... turn it on about an hour before shooting starts and no problem. Good luck with your project.
Pat Traps only use Hydraulics to operate the left & right and up & down on the wobble machines. The throwing arms are powered by 2 spring rubbers, which do change tension with the temperature.
This only bothers those that don't set their fields before shooting.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just curious, where does MEC fit into the spectrum of trap machines?
I personally think mecs look very well designed. I know of a few out there and have heard good things. Of coarse they are only a couple years old.
The only thing I seen that I didn’t really like on them was the angle crank is slotted to adjust angle. I’d rather see 3 holes. In my opinion that would make it easier to change angles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only parts are what QRP has and they're out of most. No one took over the company! QRP, did buy the inventory of parts.
Those machines are antiquated.
That must be what I was thinking, I knew someone had some parts but couldn’t remember what the deal was. Anyhow I’ve worked on both traps (I’m wondering how many people in this thread have actually worked on a variety of the traps they are talking good/bad about). Like I said, I do like the Pats however we’ve had way better luck with the superstar, and I’m just not crazy about how flimsy the pats seem to be built. Either way they all seem to throw nice targets so to each his own!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pat Traps only use Hydraulics to operate the left & right and up & down on the wobble machines. The throwing arms are powered by 2 spring rubbers, which do change tension with the temperature.
This only bothers those that don't set their fields before shooting.
Our club just recently installed a PAT trap to replace our 1954 model Western. As noted in one of the posts above a heater may be needed if we have problems in the cold as we shoot all winter. Our club is in northern NH.

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
At this point I am strongly leaning toward buying two, use Pat-Traps and making both fields the same. I will be finishing this up right after deer season, next week. I will have a day we open just to try the new field. Hope we get some warm weather, I will have heaters ready. Thanks for all the advice and I will let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
At this point I am strongly leaning toward buying two, use Pat-Traps and making both fields the same. I will be finishing this up right after deer season, next week. I will have a day we open just to try the new field. Hope we get some warm weather, I will have heaters ready. Thanks for all the advice and I will let you know how it goes.
Skyline,
You do not need any heaters.
We run Pat Traps in 0 to -10 degrees here in Michigan. Pat Traps have adjustments for cold weather.
It takes all of 1 minute. P.M. me for setup and we can go thru it.
I'm not going to argue with these people that think that the Traps need heat!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Skyline,
You do not need any heaters.
We run Pat Traps in 0 to -10 degrees here in Michigan. Pat Traps have adjustments for cold weather.
It takes all of 1 minute. P.M. me for setup and we can go thru it.
I'm not going to argue with these people that think that the Traps need heat!
we put in a new Pat a few months back and they told us we don't need a heater. we've run it in 20 degree weather with no problems. The trap uses a lower viscosity fluid now that makes the heater obsolete. Pat did say to run the pump for 15 minutes before throwing birds but who doesn't. It takes that long just to fill if.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts