Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
I am finishing up a new trap field. I have been using old Western traps and have one that has been very reliable. I am looking to go with a more modern trap and not have to load so often. I have 4 new Lincoln skeet machines and have done well with them. Shyda's has always been good at helping when needed. Before just going with the Lincoln ATA500 I wanted some input. Has anyone had experience with Mec machines? How about LaPort? Also, do I need a trap house with a higher roof to accommodate the larger turret? Any input at all will be appreciated.

PS. I own a small, private shooting facility in PA.
I have alittle experience here.

I was one of the primary people involved and thus meeting with trap manufacturing reps and evaluating a trap purchase when our state grounds went from manual to autos (22 trap purchase initially).

Since those days I have been president of our local two trap club. We started with Pat's and continue with them most recently purchasing a wobble capable 3 yes ago and another two years ago.

Even on the old ones at our club which had well over a million each, maintenance was minimal. I had Jim Moody if your aware of his amazing knowledge of Pat's come up to the club and inspect and service our traps which at the time were over 1,000,000 each. There was virtually nothing they needed serviced or parts replaced. Parts easily attained if required. Costumer support outstanding.

You hear others proclaim how great other brands are and the minimal cost of maintenance they take. But how many targets do they throw a year? How many repetively in a day?

You'll spend your money as you see fit but my experience tells me that I'd rather have a Pat with a million target break_in than any other brand available still in the box.

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'm surprised others haven't elaborated but one of the programs that I'm involved with just put in a new Pat. It's a rugged simple design that holds 540 birds and is made to throw hundreds of thousands of birds with little repairs. The controls take no more than a few minutes to learn. Everything on it is out in the open and easy to get to. troubleshooting them is fairly easy. The new ones use a lighter hydro oil so the cold weather isn't as much of an issue. I know you said that you don't care about doubles but that could change over time and when it does you would be glad you went with a pat. It's can literately change from singles to doubles in one minute. You can adjust angles and distances with the turn of a handle or just moving a micro switch. they are simply brilliant. Other programs I've been involved in have atlas. mec, western, laport, and remington traps so I have been around a few other traps.
Thank you, that is real input. I have extensive experience with the old Westerns, and some with the new Lincolns. Times are changing.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
I'd say go with a Pat. That's what my local club has. Been involved in maintaining it. Simple machine and easy to work on. In the interest of full disclosure I'm located in Southern New Hampshire - I live less than 35 miles from Pat Trap's location in Henniker, NH. Need a part? Not an issue, just go get it.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
Thank you, that is real input. I have extensive experience with the old Westerns, and some with the new Lincolns. Times are changing.
There in lies the problem.
There is no comparison between those machines and a Pat Trap.
It is for that reason that EVERY LARGE Trap Club in the USA, is using them.

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have alittle experience here.

I was one of the primary people involved and thus meeting with trap manufacturing reps and evaluating a trap purchase when our state grounds went from manual to autos (22 trap purchase initially).

Since those days I have been president of our local two trap club. We started with Pat's and continue with them most recently purchasing a wobble capable 3 yes ago and another two years ago.

Even on the old ones at our club which had well over a million each, maintenance was minimal. I had Jim Moody if your aware of his amazing knowledge of Pat's come up to the club and inspect and service our traps which at the time were over 1,000,000 each. There was virtually nothing they needed serviced or parts replaced. Parts easily attained if required. Costumer support outstanding.

You hear others proclaim how great other brands are and the minimal cost of maintenance they take. But how many targets do they throw a year? How many repetively in a day?

You'll spend your money as you see fit but my experience tells me that I'd rather have a Pat with a million target break_in than any other brand available still in the box.
This is exactly what I was looking for. At this point I think the choice is between a new Pat trap, a reconditioned one, and some other brand. I really do not shoot very many targets. I currently have more skeet shooters then trap shooters and added a second field in order to shoot Vintage trap and skeet at the same time. I will look at prices and see what I can do. Once again, I am not talking about a club, it is my facility. It is modest, not at all fancy, but I throw the BEST skeet targets in the state. I have a sky background; face north northeast and only have to worry about wind and clouds. I very much appreciate the input, your comments are based on real experience, not just rumor, it is invaluable.

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
This is exactly what I was looking for. At this point I think the choice is between a new Pat trap, a reconditioned one, and some other brand. I really do not shoot very many targets. I currently have more skeet shooters then trap shooters and added a second field in order to shoot Vintage trap and skeet at the same time. I will look at prices and see what I can do. Once again, I am not talking about a club, it is my facility. It is modest, not at all fancy, but I throw the BEST skeet targets in the state. I have a sky background; face north northeast and only have to worry about wind and clouds. I very much appreciate the input, your comments are based on real experience, not just rumor, it is invaluable.
So here's another part of the equation. Recovery price.

You may think or state that this is irrelevant. But your thoughts may change at some point in the future. By a used Pat and maintain it and you'll not loose any money over intial investment other than maintenance and any parts required during ownership and possibly not even that depending on length of ownership.

Buy a reconditioned unit and maintain it and the most you'll possibly loose is a few hundred and possibly not even that if ownership lasts a few years.

But buy some of the others that posters have recommended and know that you darn near can't get rid of them at any price!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I am finishing up a new trap field. I have been using old Western traps and have one that has been very reliable. I am looking to go with a more modern trap and not have to load so often. I have 4 new Lincoln skeet machines and have done well with them. Shyda's has always been good at helping when needed. Before just going with the Lincoln ATA500 I wanted some input. Has anyone had experience with Mec machines? How about LaPort? Also, do I need a trap house with a higher roof to accommodate the larger turret? Any input at all will be appreciated.

Our gun club uses pat traps. I have used La Port, but not as familiar with them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Go to the Trapshooters Vendor Market Place forum on this web site. Mike Battista has 12 rebuilt Pat Traps for sale at reasonable prices. Do yourself and your friends who shoot with you a favor and buy one of these rebuilt machines.

I too own a personal Trap Field at my farm. I bought a Pat Trap and have only had to grease it once per year and replace a throwing arm once because the rubber got brittle. Nothing more to it. Just turn it on and shoot great targets.

I learned long ago...buy the benchmark that all others are measured against from the start. When they say XYZ trap machine is as good as a PAT trap...it isn't.

·
Registered
Krieghoff k80 trap special
413 Posts

i have owned 3 Mec machines and have had zero problems and zero complaints with them. Highly recommend

·
Registered
197 Posts
I actually talked to Matt. And got some advice how to set ours. My club not far from him also uses gmv. We only have 4 tho. Not large by any standard.

idk if they all are. But a hell of a lot of them are cuz you can see the red when you come in from the north. Just the facts. No bs.

·
Premium Member
8,894 Posts
I actually talked to Matt. And got some advice how to set ours. My club not far from him also uses gmv. We only have 4 tho. Not large by any standard.

idk if they all are. But a hell of a lot of them are cuz you can see the red when you come in from the north. Just the facts. No bs.
I'm in now way saying anything is B.S.
You do realize that Pat Traps can be Red as well. This is all besides the point, because the O.P. couldn't purchase A Superstar because the company no longer exists. No parts, makes this one of the reasons, pretty much everyone got rid of them.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts