Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing up a new trap field. I have been using old Western traps and have one that has been very reliable. I am looking to go with a more modern trap and not have to load so often. I have 4 new Lincoln skeet machines and have done well with them. Shyda's has always been good at helping when needed. Before just going with the Lincoln ATA500 I wanted some input. Has anyone had experience with Mec machines? How about LaPort? Also, do I need a trap house with a higher roof to accommodate the larger turret? Any input at all will be appreciated.

PS. I own a small, private shooting facility in PA.

·
Super Moderator
Perazzi MX10RS 32/34 Combo w/Allor tuned barrels, K80 Parcours 32"
3,417 Posts
Laporte are reliable and considerably less than pats but do not throw dbls
Our club HAD 8 LaPorte doubles machines, talk about headaches. Switched to Pat's in 2006 and never looked back.

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I said, I am starting off with what I have experience with, and who. I will look into the Pat, but am not hung up on who respects it. I want a trap that throws good targets and does not need a lot of maintenance, I have done a lot of that already. I am not going to worry about doubles. I built houses with sliding roofs and can load a Western trap from the ground, which is handy. My question about size is, how much taller are the new traps compared to the Western? It would be very easy to adapt the house if need be.

·
Registered
389 Posts
As I said, I am starting off with what I have experience with, and who. I will look into the Pat, but am not hung up on who respects it. I want a trap that throws good targets and does not need a lot of maintenance, I have done a lot of that already. I am not going to worry about doubles. I built houses with sliding roofs and can load a Western trap from the ground, which is handy. My question about size is, how much taller are the new traps compared to the Western? It would be very easy to adapt the house if need be.
Can you post pictures of the trap house with the sliding roof

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far I am hearing that trap shooters like the Pat trap. I am not really hearing why. I have seen a lot of clubs, especially those throwing sporting clays targets going to Mec. I have experience, very good experience with Lincoln, it seems other have not had any experience with them. I am going to buy new and I want 500 targets. Still not sure.

·
Registered
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you post pictures of the trap house with the sliding roof
My trap houses are not deep. I poured a 8'X8' concrete floor. I laid up 4 courses of block, to come up to ground level. I put re-rod in the block and poured it full of concrete. I then built a wooden framed top half with a sliding steel roof. The roof rides on castors that sit in a 2X4 track. It does not offer a lot of storage, but is very easy to load. I put a few cases of targets in the Polaris Ranger and when I need to load, pull up to the house, slide the roof back and fill the machine. It was a lot of work but a lot less expensive then a pre-cast house.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Once again, exactly why?
I'm surprised others haven't elaborated but one of the programs that I'm involved with just put in a new Pat. It's a rugged simple design that holds 540 birds and is made to throw hundreds of thousands of birds with little repairs. The controls take no more than a few minutes to learn. Everything on it is out in the open and easy to get to. troubleshooting them is fairly easy. The new ones use a lighter hydro oil so the cold weather isn't as much of an issue. I know you said that you don't care about doubles but that could change over time and when it does you would be glad you went with a pat. It's can literately change from singles to doubles in one minute. You can adjust angles and distances with the turn of a handle or just moving a micro switch. they are simply brilliant. Other programs I've been involved in have atlas. mec, western, laport, and remington traps so I have been around a few other traps.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts