Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lookin for a dependable duck/turkey gun i want an automatic. I have looked at Mossbergs, Beneli, Browning, and remington versamec. Do the cheaper Mossberg 935 and remington versamec compare in quality to the beneli. I have heard good and bad about all any help by people that own or use these guns would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Dan

·
Registered
372 Posts
advice on auto loaders for ducks 3-1/2

I really like the Browning gas guns; Gold, Silver, and Maxus. I been shooting a Maxus quite a bit, won the five stand league and killed a turkey with it in the same week. I've seen used Golds for $750. Think Benelli is good as well, but they kick a little harder and don't swing quite as due to lighter weight. Berettas are nice, but generally more expensive. No experience with Remington or Mossberg.

·
Vendor
4,924 Posts

We have this Brwonong Gold Hunter, 3 1/2" mag, 28" barrel, chokes and case $650.00
Mike Battista
727 410 5212

·
Registered
12 Posts

some posts here on the versa max you might find useful

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=69d151d6b52ea082c9c94d82281f2961

·
Registered
14,685 Posts

I've owned an Xtrema, Benelli SBE, Rem. Ultra, SX-2.

Most reliable in freezing rain Benelli

Softest shooting with duck loads Xtrema

Heaviest..the original SX2

I thought the Xtrema was going to be my "go to" duck gun, but in 20 degrees and rain in Arkansas last year, it didn't run very smooth. Cycling problems. But it was damn cold and wet. The SBE never failed, though I've heard of some that did.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Swear by my Beretta Xtrema 2... Had Browning Gold, but it was not as reliable. My dad has had Benelli's, Brownings, a Vinci, a Maxus and goes back to his Xtrema 2 everytime.

SW

·
Registered
713 Posts

I work with a group of hardcore duck hunters and they all swear by Benelli SBE's or M1 Super 90's. I have an older SBE that I also use for everything from upland game to turkey hunting. Yes it has perhaps more perceived recoil than a gas gun but it has never failed me (and sometimes I've been in some miserable weather!).

·
Registered
278 Posts

What DA said, Winchester Super X-3. Killed a bunch of ducks and geese and a few turkeys, not a single hiccup!

Cheers,

George

·
Registered
4,654 Posts

I have owned my Versa Max for 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat,I have never had it taken apart and cleaned in those 3 years, and I duck hunt pretty hard so it doesn't get babied at all, spray alittle rem oil in the action once in awhile and that's it,am going to tear it apart and give it a good cleaning this year, love the gun........... but I think any of those guns you mentioned would be a good duck hunting gun.....

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

nothing has the quality and reliability of a benelli. (as barackula says) period.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Don't leave out Remington SP10. Shoots like a dream, no failures and very little recoil.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts

No need for anything larger than 2-3/4", 1-1/4oz., #4 Rem HD or HeviShot @ 1325 fps.

Curt

·
Registered
10,360 Posts

If you are shooting steel, nothing beats the Big Ten.

The Browning Gold handles better, the Remmie SP10 kicks less. Pumps will boot you.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Best Semi-auto on the market today - Beretta A400 Extreme - Bar NONE!

Soft shooting, RELIABLE! Had mine out in the freezing rain last week. 1 SBE froze up and wouldn't shoot. So the both of us shot the A400 Extreme. Later I thawed out the SBE and it shot fine but what a difference in recoil. The SBE kicked like a mule with 3". The Beretta shot much softer so you could also get more shots ON and kill more birds.

So I'm a convert. Sold my Supersport and my SBE this week and ordered an A400 Extreme.

Best,
Tom

·
Registered
8,217 Posts

I see the Browning Maxus is made in Portugal.

Any issues with those guns?

Son and I are going after Christmas looking for a Duck and Goose gun for him and he is interested in the Maxus.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

I've owned: a Benelli SBE, Beretta Xtrema, 11-87 Super mag, SX-2, 870 Super mag, Mossberg 935, Beretta A400, Citori- all in 3-1/2" & an Ithaca Mag 10 (too heavy for an old guy). Now when I hunt geese & turkeys my go to gun is a Browning Gold Lt 10ga & for ducks an 11-87 3". With steel - speed kills! I deem the 3-1/2" useless, thus the old saying, you're trying to run to much crap through too small of a tin whistle!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts