Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All. I am posting this for a teammate of mine who isn't computer savy. Long story short...he is a right handed 2-eyed shooter...his vision in his right eye has gone south...doctors can't fix it...they tell him there is no cure for his condition. He was a pretty good shooter. His scores have plummeted. He is disgusted with the situation. I am trying to help him out. I am a 1-eyed shooter.

For the purposes of this discussion...let's just assume that his right eye is useless. The way I see it (no pun intended) he has 2 choices:

1). Change over to the other side and become a left handed (1 eyed) shooter so he can use his good eye. I think we can all imagine how awkward this would be at first but after thousands of rounds I think it could be done.

or...

2). Get some kind of stock with a bunch of offset so that he can continue to shoot right handed, but use his left eye.

Is there such a setup? Anyone ever dealt with this before?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Skydiver 41, I have seen the offset ribs HMB speaks of used successfully. DeVault Ind. would be my first call for information. Your second choice, switching shoulders, I knew a skeet shooter who did that quite well. Your friends choice as to which way may be best for him. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Greetings All. I am posting this for a teammate of mine who isn't computer savy. Long story short...he is a right handed 2-eyed shooter...his vision in his right eye has gone south...doctors can't fix it...they tell him there is no cure for his condition. He was a pretty good shooter. His scores have plummeted. He is disgusted with the situation. I am trying to help him out. I am a 1-eyed shooter.

For the purposes of this discussion...let's just assume that his right eye is useless. The way I see it (no pun intended) he has 2 choices:

1). Change over to the other side and become a left handed (1 eyed) shooter so he can use his good eye. I think we can all imagine how awkward this would be at first but after thousands of rounds I think it could be done.

or...

2). Get some kind of stock with a bunch of offset so that he can continue to shoot right handed, but use his left eye.

Is there such a setup? Anyone ever dealt with this before?

Thanks in advance.
we have one guy that shoots right handed but puts his head on the stock to see with his left eye, he shoots rather well. another guy has the offset rib and doesn't shoot that good.

jack mc

·
Registered
32,240 Posts
Cross over stock came about over a hundred years ago for cross dominate shooters, but not commonly used and expensive of course. There is a add on rib set up that mounts a inches to the side and allows strong side mount and using other eye without contortion of body. Just a rib with hangers that mounts to original rib and sits off to the side of the guns center.

image.jpg

Or your friend could try this:

image.jpg

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
OK. Here's another thought that may or may not be relevant. I am a right handed right eye dominant shooter. Scarring of the retina has greatly affected the vision in my right eye, and I have some vision with it, though it's very distorted. My condition cannot be fixed.I have not changed my shooting technique. My left eye sees the target, but the bad right eye remains the dominant eye. I don't shoot as well as I used to, but my right eye is still the one that seems to point to the target. He might be better off just continuing to shoot the way he was shooting.

·
Registered
452 Posts
We have a gentleman here in Mondamtana, that had an eye injury and switched from right hand to left hand shooting. He does very well, his name is Dan Vogel, your friend may want to get in touch with him. He is a good guy and if you p.m. me I have his cell and home phone numbers. Scott

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the ideas fellas. I will pass them on. I may try the offset front bead (eyemaster) myself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also read some old threads on the Carey Side Sighter but can't seem to find anything current on this device. Anyone familiar with this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts