Trapshooters Forum banner

Advice needed on rinsing & drying shot

1689 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  plinker61
I've been making my own shot off and on now for about a year and was curious what others are doing to rinse and dry their shot after dropping it.

I have been rinsing it in a seive I bought at Walmart and then placing it on baking sheets and placing in the wife's oven for about an hour at 200 degrees. Wife doesn't think kindly of it when she wants to bake her muffins.

I had a range donated to me a while back and I am going to wire it in the shop where I drip my shot.

What do others do?

Chris Morris
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,153 Posts
I put it in a bucket, go over to the hose and fill it up. Stir it around in the water, dump it out and repeat 2 or 3 more times. To dry, we dump it out onto screens and let it dry in the sun. Only bad thing is you can do shot when it's raining out...

Josh

· Premium Member
15,959 Posts
What are you using for coolant??

Try Sun Burst laundry detergent - very easy to rinse - spills are a GOOD thing (clean up that oil spill on the garage floor, plus it doesn't matter if you get it on yours clothes).

Dumpd shot on a large beach towel to absorb the water - leave out in the sun on a sunny day and you're ready to go...

· Registered
17,360 Posts
After cleaning reclaimed I put it on a cloth tarp about a half inch thick and leave it till it's dry. The tarp absorbs some of the moisture so it gets dry quicker.

Outside on good days.

HM

· Registered
393 Posts
i use brake fluid,i drop into french fryer baskets lined with aluminum window screen,rinse in 25 gallon totes of water,(2)pre rinse & final rinse,drop out on to a tray coverd with a automotive shammie,half hour later i put into my cement mixer with wifes old hair dryer running on hi (gets to 150 degrees)pointing into cement mixer(made a stand to work)20 min of tumbling and ready to go.mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.