Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,

I joined this forum hoping to learn somethings to help improve my trap shooting. I have shot Skeet multiple times, and have been pretty good at it. I have now started going to a gun club that shoots trap exclusively every week. When I started I was using a Browning Model 12 in 28 gauge mod choke. Now though not a great score, I average 14 out of 25. I was then informed by the guys (Bunch of old guys, who most know my father) told me I was handy capping myself using my 28. Well I came across a Remington 1187 Premier Trap for a deal. It was a deal because it had a full choke in it, but I haggled and got a Improved Modified Choke for it out of the deal. I scored 13 out of 25 first time using it, and after I swapped the choke out for a Mod my buddy had in his 870, I got a 16 out of 25.

Now threw all this I have had many opinions and suggestions brought up to me, my father who smithed for 25+ years, told me my best bet is to use a mod or light mod for the 16yd, and my improved mod for Annie Oakley. He said once I get good at it start using tighter chokes, makes sense to me.

A uncle of mine, aid I need to put myself in a routine and just use a full choke gun. I actually have his Model 12 Trap in my gun safe for this weeks get together to try it, its a full choke. He recommended I look at my boots, and wait till its my shot then look up, that way I am not looking at the traphouse or the targets until its my go.

Most the older guys are giving me the usual just keep shooting and you will get better, other are trying to get me to buy X,Y,Z brand gun, stock, etc.

I am looking for just in general help. Part of me wants to just spend money here and there experimenting with chokes. (Have my eye on Muller chokes.) Part of me thinks I need some good advice. I also using this as a fun excuse to broden my gun collection. Have my eye on getting a 870 Trap.

Anyways any advice will help me out. I don't plan on doing this professionally or going places just wanna be good at it to be competitive with the guys at the club.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Forget about the chokes for now. Find out where the gun shoots at the patterning
board. Shoot it at 13 yards. You want it to be dead on left and right and a little high vertically.
Now you can check the chokes to see if they all have the same POI. Now you are ready
to shoot on the trap field. If you can shoot straight aways from post 3 that would be
a good way to get zeroed in. See if they will lock the machine on straight aways from
post 3 for you and shoot a box of shells that way. HMB

·
Banned
848 Posts
I would suggest to take a lesson with a knowledgeable shotgun shooting instructor first before you spend ANY of your money on chokes, stocks, etc. Such instructor will give you all necessary trap (and not only) shooting fundamentals such as stance, gun mount, gun hold points, eye hold points, swing, follow-through, etc. This is important because you don't want to engrain bad habits right from the start, which will be much harder to re-learn once those are imprinted. Then, when you know a little more about the game, you will be able to approach your gun requirements with more confidence and knowledge. Meanwhile, check out these playlists (just hit "Play All" and watch):

General Shotgun Shooting Tips (Gun Fit, etc.)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk2xlCm9NUs7yM0ApItogxZNc15OwRCJJ

Trap Shooting Tips
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk2xlCm9NUs7WCGo97lOUXFRHtnIPNW8X

Good luck!

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
It sounds like with your back ground shooting skeet you already have the basic gear such as good eye and ear protection ect.The 1187 that you picked up sound pretty decent too, I had one befor and had fun with it.You already have your basic gear established so really like HMB said pattern your shotgun so you are aware of the POI,if it has a adjustable comb that will be a asset to have,befor I would spend money on chokes and the like I would really spend some quality time with a instructor to help you get a foundation to work with.Patterning your shotgun and knowing the POI will also help the instructor get you dialed in quicker.I feel that if you have the correct shooting glasses(prescription if needed)---good ear protection-----a good vest or belt pouch to hold your shells and empties if you reload----and a decent shotgun that you are aware of the POI with and you are set to have some fun and create some consistency by not going crazy with too much gear(that addiction comes later) and working with developing a basic foundation and practice to improve(keep some notes on what works for you and what doesn't) Shoot well George

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George MT, sent me a great article, which I was able to use to identify some things I was doing that were incorrect. I am going to go thru the gun collection and find which one works best for me then I will go from there. I will ask some of the more experienced guys at the club to analyze me and go from there. I appreciate all the help guys. Hope to give an update.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Sounds like you already have really good shotgun basics. Some great advice above. The 1187 is a good solid gun. Nothing wrong with that model 12 either. As mentioned above don't get too hung up on chokes. Pattern your gun to see where the point of impact is. Work with it until you get it where you like it. Watch a few videos but, bear in mind the instructors may all have different styles of shooting. Some videos are fee on line. I suggest the one on U tube called "Trap Shooting with D. Lee Braun" He It shows Remington pros Dick Baldwin, and Bob Andrews showing the basics of trapshooting. Try and glean what works for you from the videos you watch. If you can, get someone to lock the trap in straight away, then left and right angles and shoot a box for each setting. After you get into the swing of it you might want to take a clinic if your budget allows. I know you probably already know this but, you need to make sure which is you master eye. If you are shooting off one shoulder and your dominant master eye is on the other side you will have to either close one eye or use an patch, dot, or blinder so your other eye doesn't take over . If that happens you will be looking down the side (not at) the target. Welcome to trapshooting and we all wish you many happy fun filled years at the sport!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My advice is simple: Stop switching guns. You have 2 reasonable 12ga available. Pick the one that mounts easiest and feels best. Stick with it for a while. You (potentially) change your POI and slow the development of your muscle-memory by switching.

Then follow the advice above including patterning (it helps to know your POI when fired by you using your POA), practicing straight-aways from #3 if you can, and get a lesson if possible. Get your scores up into the 20s. Then you'll have some experience to help decide next moves . . . if there are any :)

GLHF.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
First off WELCOME TO TS.COM.!!! Now, Does your 1187 have the Remington Probore choke tubes(these should be fine), or do you have the standard Rem Chokes??? If you have the standard Rem. chokes, I would buy some extended Briley Chokes as soon as you can, provided you really want to get into the shooting game. The older short Rem chokes shot all over the place, and they even may not be what is marked on the choke. So a choke marked Mod. may be a IM choke, or it may be a IC choke, it could be a Mod. choke, but unless you measure the chokes you'll never know. These chokes also had some problems with shooting off to the side or up or down. Some of these chokes are OK, but you just don't know. So testing your POI. with poor chokes can show a problem even though it may just be your chokes and not the gun. Its cheaper to buy chokes direct from Briley when you buy a whole set 5 with a wrench and a nice plastic case too. You can buy just Mod. and/or a IM if you just want to shoot trap at the beginning. If you plan on shooting Trap, and Skeet, and Sporting Clays in the future than get the whole set of 5 chokes--- S, IC, M, IM, Full. You should have two beads on your barrel. Make what is called a "fig. 8" with the two beads. The mid bead at the bottom and the end bead at the top with no space between the two beads. This should give you a normal 60/40 POI. If you test your gun for the POI, be sure to use a bi-pod to steady the barrel or your just about wasting your time if your free-handing the shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you learned proper gun stance and movement. Never move the gun with your hands!!! But you probably already know this if you've shoot Skeet for any length of time. Watch some DVD's, maybe take a lesson, and get some tips from your local shooters. Have one of the better one's help you out if you can!!! That 1187 is a good gun and should give you a lifetime of good service if taken care of. Good Luck on your new Shooting Journey!!! Break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The Premier Trap is a great gun to learn trap shooting. It is soft shooting and out of the box will fit most everybody. If your barrel is marked "TARGET" on the left side near the receiver, then it will be one of the factory overbored barrel that make them highly desirable. Because of the larger bore or inside diameter of the barrel as compared to regular ones, the choke constriction will be different. This is why these barrel came with Remchoke tubes marked "Full Trap, Super Full Trap and Extra full Trap". From experience I found that a regular Remchoke tube marked Improved Cylinder " gave me the same constriction as a Trap Full when used with Target barrels. May I suggest you borrow an Improved cylinder choke and try it out. You may be surprised. Hope this helps. JM

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
First of all, I'm an old guy. Welcome to the sport of trapshooting and this site. If you are serious about getting to be a better shot, take some lessons from a knowledgeable trapshooter and have him check to see if your trap gun actually fits you. If the gun fits pattern the gun and if it is shooting where you are looking spend your money on shooting instead of purchasing or trading guns.

If you are not serious about the sport and don't really care if you get to be a better shooter buy anything and everything you want. This is a great sport with the majority who participate are good hard working people.

Good luck to you,
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts