Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first thread so bare with me being a rookie to this kind of thing. I know there is a lot of experience here to learn from and I need some advice. Are there any "drills" or anything that I can do to break or remedy the habit of coming out of the gun at the moment of shot execution? I have been working on my focus for some time now and I feel like it has improved greatly but I have a habit of lifting my head. It's not the recoil, it's almost like I subconsciously know the bird is broken but I fail to finish. I'm not even stopping my swing, just separating from the gun and shooting over the birds. Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm a sporting shooter. Thanks in advance for all your help guys!
JS

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first time my shooting buddy pointed it out to me I argued with him for months that I wasn't doing that. His solution was to put a twenty between my face and the comb and every time it hit the ground, he got to keep it. That stopped the argument and I don't make silly bets like that no more. Sporting clays is expensive enough as it is without leaving your folding money scattered around the course!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Carefully tie fishing line around your nuts, and attach it to your neck with no slack. When you lift your head or come out of your gun, this will prevent it from happening in the future.
May affect the tone of your voice, but certainly worth trying.

·
Registered
20,602 Posts
Following the chip worked for me....is useful if done with everyone's targets on your squad also. Helped keep my mind from wandering.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Jason,
You have your answer. If a $20.00 is too rich for your blood...try a 5.00. Pretty sure you'll keep your head down when the cost of a round goes through the roof just because you can't keep your head on the stock..!!!
What's needed here is "follow-through". I'm spending a lot of my shooting time these days with a flintlock. They absolutely require follow through and achieving it helps with all my shooting. You could give that a try, but be careful.... you might never shoot another modern gun again..!!!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I see sporting shooters do this when their stock is a little to low they raise their head to get better vision on target break.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
West, I have done that and I even went so far as to shoot those pieces when I was shooting my singles in 5-stand. I kinda quit because I started conserving shells a little more and someone on another thread said that could lead to watching the bead. I don't necessarily feel like it would but I sure don't need any more bad habits than what I already got.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your exactly right buster. I was doing it really bad when I pre-mounted. Now I'm shooting low gun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HMB,
You were asking about adjustment; I shot a precision fit for about a year. I am currently going back to wood. I haven't gotten my stock completely finished yet but I will in a week or two. The only adjustment I have is recoil pad adjuster.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You must be talkin about smokin in the boys room. Your right, I'm trying to quit that too!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Practice staying into the gun as if you are to fire a second shot. If you shoot as double barrel put a snap cap in the second barrel and try firing at your bird a second time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's not a bad idea at all jack

·
Registered
222 Posts
Too low in the gun. Monte carlo stock will get your head up but it will raise the POI which is good if you are shooting 50/50.

You are lifting your head to see if you broke the target on a rising target which tells me you are way too low in the gun. Set it up to shoot a higher POI and you will see it vaporize way above the gun. Monte Carlo stock will get you there.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If the fishing line tied on your parts does not work for you, add a Gamagatsu fishing hook to the line on both ends. Guaranteed to work. What helped me was to check after each shot that my cheek was on the stock. At least that made me aware of what I was doing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blackshirts, the stock I am working on is a new American model from wenig. That makes me feel better about getting a new stock. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts