Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kolar T/S and I have the POI about right where I want it. The beads are right in line, but I want to see some rib and have a little gap between the two beads but keep the same POI, any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
It is not an easy thing to do, unless you can adjust the back end of the rib down.

When you raise the comb, your POI will rise to the tune of 1 inch at 13 yards per 1/16 inch rise of the comb. To counter this you need to raise the front of the rib to get back to the POI. But doing this will change the sight picture of the beads. Heard of Catch 22?

If you know how much a move at the front sight relates to the change of POI and it is different than the movement at the comb, you may be able to figure out how to get what you want.

Jason

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
trapster, you may be able to do what you want if your rib is not already maxed out on top. Since you can only adjust the front of the rib, you want to raise it. That moves the bead higher and lowers your POI, so you will have to raise the comb to make up the difference.

You can actually find out how much to adjust my measuring and using the POI calculator in these forums. The dimensions you need are the disatance from the bead to the pivot point of the rib, the amount you moved the bead up, and the distance from the bead to your eye while in shooting position.

My Perazzi rib pivots in the center of the rib, and contributes about 1/3 of the total change, with the comb adjustment making up the rest. You rib pivots in the rear, so it is likely you will raise the comb about 70% as much as you raised the bead. The calculator will tell you exactly.

·
Registered
557 Posts
trapshooter just take a 7 1/2 pc of lead shot, a little vaseline so it won't roll off, place it on your rib until,you see what you want, then drill a hole there , moving the bead closest to the receiver to it and insert it you are done! it does not change anything, do the same thing if you shooters have a must have figure 8, just move the bead wherever you want it it doesn't change impact. incinerate em!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Get it shooting where you want. Then REMOVE the middle bead and put it wherever on the rib that makes you happy. It is NOT always possible to adjust rib and comb to get poi you want AND have the beads stacked the way you want. Personally I'd throw away the middle bead rather than worry about getting all lined up before taking a shot at a 4 inch target with a gun shooting a 30 inch pattern.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
If you have the POI where you want do not change the comb.

Change the rib to the sight picture you want. Keep in mind that you still need to put the same cheek pressure on the comb as before.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
If the POI is where you want it, what difference does it make where the beads are in relation to each other?

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you have the POI where you want do not change the comb.

Change the rib to the sight picture you want. Keep in mind that you still need to put the same cheek pressure on the comb as before.
I believe this is correct. I know many say the rib adjusts the POI, but it does not. The comb does. What happens is most people adjust the rib and then adjust their cheek pressure or gun mount to make the beads line up, this change in cheek pressure / gun mount is what changes the POI for them. Adjust your POI with the comb and them adjust the rib to get the beads to stack the way you want them to.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I'm gonna get flamed for this but stacking beads and worrying about stacking beads is INSANE.....What bird hunter whether quail hunter or duck hunter EVER worried about stacking beads? This bead stacking crap is a direct result of people trying to be PRECISE ......can you say AIMING at a target? Shotguns throw an approximately 30 inch pattern at a 4 inch target...you get NEAR it ,you break it.......FORGET this bead stacking stuff and learn how to really shoot a shotgun.

·
Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My last shoot, I would see a little rib when I held my head erect and that is what I prefer but then I would start getting into the gun and would be looking flat down the rib which I don't like, not to mention POI change. That is why I wanted to adjust the gun to see some rib. The only way I can see to do that is to raise the comb and leave the rib the same or to have more drop at heel to help keep me from being able to crowd the comb. I put more drop on the heel tonight and I'm going to try it out tomorrow night.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
What zzt said. Shoot the gun on a splatter board on a rest and establish your POI. Then, Raise the bead (raise the front of the rib), and then adjust your comb for the POI while seeing the amount of rib you want.

BTW, why do you want to "see rib"? The purpose of a F-8 bead alignment is to let you know when you're picking up your head while shooting. I see my bead on every shot. I don't focus on it, but I see it. If I finish a shot and see a gap in the beads, I know I picked my head up.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Interesting thread, I have chased my tail trying to get the "perfect" sight picture. Chevk out the Zoli shotgun web site and look at the rib adjustment on the American Z-Trap.
It adjusts up and down in the front and rear of the rib. Several years ago Zoli had some of these gun to shoot at the NYS shooting ground at one of that years shoot. They had no examples with release triggers so I did not try one. I did try the adjustments of the rib, you could easily get you sight picture "tuned in" with the front and rear adjustments.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I believe this is correct. I know many say the rib adjusts the POI, but it does not. The comb does. What happens is most people adjust the rib and then adjust their cheek pressure or gun mount to make the beads line up, this change in cheek pressure / gun mount is what changes the POI for them. Adjust your POI with the comb and them adjust the rib to get the beads to stack the way you want them to.
Actually adjusting the rib does change the POI. The rib adjustment isn't about comfort or sight picture. You can get the look you want by changing both comb and rib adjustments but why? If the POI is correct for you just shoot it.

·
Banned
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An adjustment on the back of the rib would solve my problem but it doesn't have it. I like to look over the rib a little instead of blocking my eyes with the rib being too flat. I use the beads to check whether I have mounted the gun where I want and I do see the bead target relationship as the gun comes into the target although my main focus is on the target. That gives me feed back whether I missed in front, behind or whatever. I have heard shooters saying they never look at the beads but I believe they do see the gun target relationship through their peripheral vision.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts