Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an adjustable stock on my F3 Supertrap right now. Are there any advantages for get a more fitted stock, such as the Wenig?

·
Sky Buster
4,127 Posts
I have an adjustable stock on my F3 Supertrap right now. Are there any advantages for get a more fitted stock, such as the Wenig?
Have you put the gun on paper to see where it's hitting? That's the first
thing to do with a new gun. If you can't get it to shoot dead on windage
wise or get the POI you like, it;s time for a different stock.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Not ever having a custom stock made for myself, here I believe is one thing to ponder. If your weight changes either way or as myself my height has changed 1.5 inches less than years ago. Doc says compression in the spine. I would invest in an adj comb and butt and save $1500 unless a comb would not work for you using an upright head position.
Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gun shoots and points great. I just don’t like the aesthetic of the adjustable rib and butt pad

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,204 Posts
You will never have the same degrees of freedom with adjustable components as you will with a custom shaped piece of wood. (The exception may be a PFS, but I still think a custom stock is still better for overall for)

How close you can get varies wildly with your shape.

I’m wide, with a short neck, broad shoulders, big hands with average to short fingers. And my Wenig looks like it was put in a vice and twisted. I was stuck on the 26 for over a year before I bought that stock. I made the 27 within 300 hdcp targets, carried a AA singles average for the first time (would have been AAA if you throw out one bad score) and AA doubles.

It made a difference for me. And I think it would for most over just being adjustable. Plus it just looks nicer.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,204 Posts
Not ever having a custom stock made for myself, here I believe is one thing to ponder. If your weight changes either way or as myself my height has changed 1.5 inches less than years ago. Doc says compression in the spine. I would invest in an adj comb and butt and save $1500 unless a comb would not work for you using an upright head position.
Jim
Many custom stocks have adjustable combs for that reason. It’s the pistol and butt adjustments that exceed what aftermarket adjustment provides in many cases. Not all, but many. I truly believe spending the money on a custom for stock is some of the best money any serious trapshooter could buy, but I am admittedly biased by my own positive experience.

·
Vendor
1,680 Posts
It is hard to get exactly what you need unless you know what you need.
If you can get yours tuned to you then get it duplicated.
Russ Digesualdo does great work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you plan on holding onto your gun for several years... I'd go with the adjustable. I had one fitted years ago that no longer works for me. I just pulled out one of my old trap guns from the safe and low and behold... the comb needed adjusting.

Just saying.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have both types. Custom wood and a couple of guns with adjustible combs. I prefer the custom stocks, but my Beretta 692 Sporter came with an adjustible comb. When I got the comb where I wanted it I took the measurments and made a new comb that fitted down on the stock with no gaps and with the comb radius I prefer. I know that is not an option for a lot of shooters who do not have the equipment to be able to do this, but it is an option for shooters who don't like gaps or offsets.
Devonian.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
The gun shoots and points great. I just don’t like the aesthetic of the adjustable rib and butt p.ad
adjustable rib or do you mean adjustable comb? If you mean rib then that will still be there no matter what kind of stock you have. For me the blaser factory stock is a bit to rolled over . I feel that having a custom fitted stock done properly will be a advantage but still having a adjustable comb and butt plate would be essential to me esp. If you shoot in different seasons and change clothes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts