Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adjustable stock on a trap shotgun- what are the pros and cons vs custom fitted stock?
Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
604 Posts
The problem with a custom stock is that you really never know if it is fitted correctly for you, with an adjustable stock you can try, perhaps the comb needs to be a little higher, perhaps offset to one side, The point is by trying you’ll know, and of course the best fit custom stock May no longer fit you if you gain weight or shoot differently as you age.

·
Registered
245 Posts
if you think that you don't need a adjustable stock, you are fooling yourself. most shooters can benefit from one. this is a game of breaking targets; not having the pretiest wood

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree that adjustable is the way to go. Cheaper, you can change it as you may change, and you can fit it to others if needed or when sold

Custom stocks look great but they are pricey

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,243 Posts
Both.

My Wenig has no adjustment, and so I had to adjust where my gun shoots as I lost and gained weight over the years.

My new prosoft has an adjustable comb and butt even though it’s fit to me. Has helped with small adjustments and fitting as well as changes in weight, etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I shot a PFS for 10 years. Then I had a custom stock made with an adjustable comb. It looks great and it is more comfortable to shoot. The PFS is now gathering dust in the gun safe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a fully custom stock and fore-end made out of a prettiest piece of wood and, after shooting it for 6 month I sold it... for half of what I paid. I shot a pattern stock for almost 10 month continuously adjusting it to perfection (or so I thought) before the final version has been replicated. Everything looked good on paper but it just didn't feel right and, to make matters worse, it changed weight and dynamics of my gun due to more dense and heavier wood, which affected my scores substantially. I will never go through this again. I would rather go with something like TSK - The fully adjustable stock The best of both worlds: fully adjustable and not bad to look at.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
The problem with a Custom fitted stock is that your body may change,Weight gain or loss, Loss of Muscle tissue etc. With an adjustable stock you can do just that --ADJUST as need be plus you won't be out 2 grand plus for the fancy fitted job !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Adjustible over custom, esp with the covid 19 pounds I've gained.

Custom for looks though as they can be beautiful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Adjustable are great for guys on a budget or to figure out mostly what you need. But they still aren't going to adjust for everything that you could get into a custom stock.

Its best being able to tweak your pattern stock and then when you know its shooting right have the custom stock finished.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
As you get older, fatter, thinner, back problems, leg problems, etc., it is nice to be able to adjust the stock to accomodate.
And that's just the start. POI changes due to discipline (singles/caps/dubs) or due to just changing how you see the targets or changing POI due to drastic changes in weather/altitude.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts