Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding a rib to a plain barrel Model 12. The catch is I want an adjustable rib. Does anyone know of a reputable gun smith that has added adjustable ribs to plain barrel shotguns? I have spoken to Simmons & Eubanks. They do not do adjustable ribs. Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none of these ribs that work for a plan barrel are adjustable. If you have a fixed rib, there's an adjustable add on rib. However if you've got a plain barrel, the clamp on rib is all there is and it's not adjustable. Thanks again!

·
Registered
670 Posts
John, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none of these ribs that work for a plan barrel are adjustable. If you have a fixed rib, there's an adjustable add on rib. However if you've got a plain barrel, the clamp on rib is all there is and it's not adjustable. Thanks again!
Sorry but the Clamp-A-Rib is adjustable. Check out their description below:

"The new Clamp-A-Rib is the easy-to-use and inexpensive rib system designed to fit most non-ribbed shotgun barrels, like the Remington 870 and 1100, Mossberg 500, Browning A5 and many others.

Many shotgunners are not able to afford a dedicated target shotgun with all the bells and whistles, but many of the those same shotgunners already own one or more non-ribbed field shotguns they enjoy taking to the range for use on clay birds. Clay-target shooting requires pinpoint precision for the best scores and consistent performance, and this is helped greatly when your gun is equipped with a ventilated rib. Clamp-A-Rib easily attaches to your non-ribbed barrel by tightening two clamps.

The result: Your gun will now sport a lightweight, Olympic-style, adjustable, ventilated rib. Clamp-A-Rib is offered in five styles — Blaser, Browning, Caesar Guerini, Krieghoff and Perazzi in six heights, (1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2") — all for the same introductory price of $119.00. The entire line is in stock, ready for same-day shipment and covered by a lifetime replacement warranty. Get your non-ribbed field gun out of the closet and back in your hands busting clay targets with Clamp-A-Rib!"

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, clearly I was wrong (not an infrequent occurrence). I'll follow up with Clamp-A-Rib tomorrow! Thanks for your help & persistence!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
. Thanks for the info regarding Phillips. I need to do a little research to better understand how to connect with him.

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
I think Phillip may be the last person in the country that does aftermarket adjustable ribs. Moneymaker was the last one under Phillip started doing them a year or two ago.

·
Registered
104 Posts
John, clearly I was wrong (not an infrequent occurrence). I'll follow up with Clamp-A-Rib tomorrow! Thanks for your help & persistence!
Glad I could help!

Good luck and break them all!

John

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
One thing to consider is that the Clamp-A-Rib, and any other add-on adjustable rib, is going to have a higher sight plain than the plain barrel. The stock is designed for the low sight plane. You may need a higher comb than what is persently on your gun. By the time you figure in the Clamp-A-Rib and some stock work it may be cheaper and certainly better to buy a used trap gun.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing to consider is that the Clamp-A-Rib, and any other add-on adjustable rib, is going to have a higher sight plain than the plain barrel. The stock is designed for the low sight plane. You may need a higher comb than what is persently on your gun. By the time you figure in the Clamp-A-Rib and some stock work it may be cheaper and certainly better to buy a used trap gun.
I understand what you're saying and you're not wrong. I'll just have to see what's possible and consider the costs. Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think Phillip may be the last person in the country that does aftermarket adjustable ribs. Moneymaker was the last one under Phillip started doing them a year or two ago.
I found the Phillips website. Looks to be in Texas in the San Antonio area. Hope this is the same guy!! I sent an email explaining what I'm looking for. We'll see! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that's the one I found. I've got an email in to Phillip. Thanks for the contact info!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Aftermarket adj ribs were always expensive to have installed, now that there are only a couple options, it is even more expensive. You probably would be further ahead to consider other options, different gun, different barrel, etc.

JMHO, Pat

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aftermarket adj ribs were always expensive to have installed, now that there are only a couple options, it is even more expensive. You probably would be further ahead to consider other options, different gun, different barrel, etc.

JMHO, Pat
Understand & you're probably right. I'm going to chase this far enough to at least understand the options. Then decide if I want to take the leap or not. Thanks for your comments & thoughts!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts