Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a friend who wants to go the adjustable recoil pad route. I've installed a couple of GraCoils and their quality seems pretty good but I've never had one fitted to me. Any suggestions of good manufactures, which to stay away from, etc. would be appreciated. He is leaning towards something with an adjustable LOP.

Thanks,
Scott F

·
Registered
801 Posts
I must have had installed at least 6 Gra-coil units.They seem to be the best out there,just had a tmx special done,and works like a charm,would not have anything else. Just one mans opinion thou. Ray

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I am found of the RAD II. Even on my Custom made stocks. Rod of Rods Custom Stocks has done them for me. Jake

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I prefer Jones Adjusters simply because of thinness and that allows me to cut little if any wood which I cringe at doing..especially on a piece of beautiful factory wood

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I agree with Calvin and have a local craftsman make mine adjustable.

averaged_2008_030352.jpg

averaged_2008_030390.jpg

I had a Gracoil with the LOP adjustment feature once. I disliked the looks of a unit like that hanging onto a stock and didn't really find it cut felt recoil that much. They are nice for fine-tuning LOP though.

Ed

·
Banned
996 Posts
I have a gracoil on mine and I feel hardly any recoil at all. Love it because I can adjust whatever I want. Cant, LOP and POI.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Adjustable pads do not change POI. The gun's rear sight, your eye, remains in the same place in relation to the front sight regardless of how high or low the pad is on your shoulder so the POI cannot change. Adjustable pads are great for fitting purposes but not POI.

Ed

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
The guns rear sight might remain the same, but the amount of muzzle rise can change and this will have an affect on the POI. HMB

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but since muzzle rise occurs after the ejecta has left the muzzle, how can that affect POI?

Ed

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
" the amount of muzzle rise can change and this will have an affect on the POI."

I'd call that an unfortunate consequence, not an adjustment.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Speaking of disliking hacking off pretty wood...nothing in the world is uglier than sawing off too inches to add a Pogo stick to the buttstock. A well fit stock doesn't kick anyhow

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check out Stock Positioning Systems, they have some good products at great prices along with great customer service plus you can work on your New York accent while on the phone with them.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I don't disagree with CalvinMD but would question as to how you can get a "well fit" stock unless you have the money to have one made specifically for you. The only other route for those of us who are not 5'10" 300 lbs (when you don't have a neck, everything fits you) is to go to Gracoils, RADs, PFS, etc.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Nothing makes me cringe like someone cutting a stock off for any reason. If your fitting for a kid or smaller shooter buy a cheap used replacement stock to butcher. Save the original wood to use when a kid grows up or when it's time to sell. Like a shop teacher once told me in Jr. High Woodshop, "It took 100 years to grow that Walnut and you f****d it up in less than 10 minutes". I never forgot the stern words directed at me and since then have always been more reserved and measure 3 times and then cut wood. It's your wood and you paid for it but guns last much longer than people do.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
When I see a gun like a Seitz with wood worth a couple G-notes..that someone chainsaws 2" off of to put a Ka-boingey thing on makes me cry...if you're adding without cutting because you're Hulk Hogan that's cool...have bought guns with Rads/Gracoils/Etc,...for me, they are the first thing in the trashcan unless theres a way to use them to deal with un-monkeyed wood

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
No one is a bigger fan of beautiful wood than I am... In fact I spend considerable time refinishing any guns I acquire to make them beautiful again...when they need it.

However...I wouldn't be able to shoot without after market adjustables on my guns...and what a difference they make.

Devault and Wenig (sp?) do some wood that is sooo pretty you could eat it...but I don't have a gun that cost what a high end custom stock does...so that is out.

I wish I could be fitted without adding adjustables...but it ain't gona happen.

Back to the OP's question. I like the Gracoil for recoil reduction and lop adjustment. It is simple, easy to adjust and works great.

I also like the Country Gentleman's Nelson pad adjuster ...for shooters that need a lot of pad drop, canting, and left or right offset. It is by far the most adjustable pad adjuster (without a recoil device and adj. lop) on the market. I happen to be a shooter that requires all the above.

The (Country Gentleman) Nelson Pad Adjuster's cam action is rock solid and ads a new dimension to pad adjustment. It can be loosened to put the gun in a tight gun case... and it's very easy to adjust when finding the "exact" pad placement when fitting the gun . It all can be changed "in seconds" with it's center thru the pad allen screw pad lock.. Top notch in every way...imo!

Stan

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
benchrest_2009_071076.jpg

benchrest_2009_071077.jpg

Stock positioning systems offers 2 styles of adjustable recoil systems. The top one has LOP, recoil adjustment and pad adjustment. The bottom one has everything the top one has, including comb movement when the gun recoils $177 and $249 respectively. Who can beat those prices and quality? Regards Joe 631 319 6959 www.addarib.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts