Trapshooters Forum banner

Adjustable pad question

3299 Views 24 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Merrruct
Hello all this is probably a dumb question but is there a product or something I can do to have a adjustable pad on my gun without having to cut any wood? I can cut down the plate that's fine but I do not want to cut my stock at all. i know there are products like pfs.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
614 Posts
With standard 2-plate adjustable pad plates, you aren't forced to cut the wood (shorten the stock).

- If you want a slightly longer Length of Pull (LOP) anyway (the thickness of the added plates), simply install the plates and use the same thickness recoil pad you're currently using.

- Or, if you want to keep your current LOP, install the plates, but use a correspondingly thinner recoil pad, so that you end up with the same overall LOP you had before (provided the thinner pad gives you the recoil absorption you need).

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With standard 2-plate adjustable pad plates, you aren't forced to cut the wood (shorten the stock).

- If you want a slightly longer Length of Pull (LOP) anyway (the thickness of the added plates), simply install the plates and the same thickness recoil pad you're currently using.

-If you want to keep your current LOP, install the plates, but use a correspondingly thinner recoil pad, so that you end up with the same overall LOP you had before (provided the thinner pad gives you the recoil absorption you need).
Could you link the adjustable pad plates? thanks

· Registered
3,174 Posts
What all do you have to do to install it? Just grind the plate down to your stock size and then add your recoil pad? Can I use the one I have on my gun now?
This is one of those times that if you don't have the correct tools don't try it, I learned the hard way.
Your recoil pad should fit. There's a few videos on youtube but not many.
You can do it with and upright belt sander, just be patient and don't overheat it.
The super thin adjusters are steel plates, too much heat can warp them or otherwise mess them up.
You could probably get away with doing it the old fashion way with a good selection of files and a lot of patience.
Don't be tempted to use a grinder of any kind on it unless you really know what you are doing.

· Registered
541 Posts
What all do you have to do to install it? Just grind the plate down to your stock size and then add your recoil pad? Can I use the one I have on my gun now?
Down and dirty way to do it. Put the plate on the stock . Draw a magic marker line around the plate. Remove the plate . Put it in a vise . Cut as much as you can cut off with a hacksaw. You will make a bunch of cuts . Work your way around the plate. Get some heavy duty 100 emery . Attach to any hand held sander you might have . Smooth out the all the edges . Finish off with 400 emery. Take your time . Be patient. I did my first one this way . Worked out fine.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
Pad plate hardware is pretty simple to install and finish, and there are many styles to choose from. Use a sharp scribe to outline the stock and pad to the aluminum plates, belt sand to the scribed lines. Then wet sand the edges with 1000 grit sandpaper and finish by buffing with black polishing compound.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,771 Posts
Pad plate hardware is pretty simple to install and finish, and there are many styles to choose from. Use a sharp scribe to outline the stock and pad to the aluminum plates, belt sand to the scribed lines. Then wet sand the edges with 1000 grit sandpaper and finish by buffing with black polishing compound.
Here's your Braun, received it Wednesday, had it completed and installed in about an hour and a couple beers. Used a Microcell 1/2" pad so the Braun didn't change lop.
Luggage and bags Hood Bag Wood Automotive lighting

Removed and painted black.
To fit I screwed it on then used a mechanical pencil to scribe a fine line around the stock. Removed and used my band saw to remove the bulk. Following that I used my disk sander starting with 180 grit down to 800 grit to finish.
Throughout the process I reinstalled several times until I could barely see the line and on the final round I barely had to touch the disk, mainly just polished until the pencil line disappeared. Perfect fit/finish. Still need to finish the pad edge but good enough to shoot. Which BTW, after installing and adjustment, ran my first box with my new gun 😁

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,771 Posts
This part of the process is where the beer comes in handy.
Yep, it's a nice break from the focus necessary to get a clean grind.
I would also like to add to my comment above that wearing a headlamp is a huge help when grinding. Puts plenty of light exactly where it's needed. I have a VERY well lit shop but it still makes a helluva difference because it almost reflects off the pencil line, highlighting it more.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,771 Posts
Very nice job Wad. Joe
Thanks, it helps to start with a quality product such as yours.
I used the grid on my phone to get this shot perfectly vertical (at the pad) to show why I needed your adjustable pad on my 725. The 725 is a neutral stock, I need cast off to fit my round head and resolve my tendency to slightly cant the gun. Stock Positioning Systems are the perfect products to resolve such issues...and for what it's worth, I received my Braun in only a few days. Ordered on a Sunday and had it the following Wednesday 🙂
Comfort Sleeve Knee Wood Thigh

· Registered
1,906 Posts
Hi Browning, yes install the pad adjuster on the stock, mark with a scribe, take off the adjuster from the stock, grind to scribe line, fit pad to adjuster, grind and polish, then reinstall on stock.

Always best to use a new pad.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.