Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a gun coming in for myself next week, and I may want to put an adjustable comb on it. I have a bandsaw right now, but its not big enough to do adjustable combs on, and it doesn't really make sense for me to pay to have an adjustable comb put on this gun. I have a drill press to install the hardware, just don't have access to a big enough bandsaw right now.

Has anyone attempted this before w/ a coping saw? Seems like its feasible as long as everything is laid out before you started cutting, and you take your time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good luck.
Coping saws aren't designed to cut material as thick as a Gunstock. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but you better not have a short temper.
Steve

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
If'n ya gotta ask ... DON'T do it yerself!

Send it to Tron .... a lot cheaper than buying a new stock after you screw it up!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
9" throat is big enough to do the job, as long as your table is big enough

Ed Yanchok

I too would like to see some pictures

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I admire your courage. Everytime I cut something with a hacksaw, I tell myself that this time I am going to make a straight cut and I never seem to be able to succeed. Would imagine a coping saw would have the same problem. You could belt sand the mistakes out of the cheekpiece, but what about the stock?

Nowadays, it seems, any modification to a factory, stock, gun devalues it. If you have any problems with yours, you'd better plan to live with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
There is the "Right" tool for every job. There are usually many "wrong" tools for a job. Make sure you get the "Right" tool for this one. Mistakes will be hard too hide here. I'm put'n the Cope saw in the "Wrong" tool category on this one. JM2C though.---Matt

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I should just play around with it. I've done one in the past, it came out decent for a first time job (usable, but not the best cosmetically), but it was with more size appropriate (in my opinion) tools...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.