Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For trap, all things being equal, is it more beneficial to get an O/U with and adjustable comb or a couple extra inches on the barrel?

I’m thinking a O/U with an adjustable comb and a 28” barrel vs. 30 or 32” barrel with standard stock.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Why not get both? If for some reason you have to choose between the two, go with the adjustable comb; gun fit is the most important.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You don't want to get any O/U Trap gun with less than a 30" barrel ( I don't think you can purchase a Trap gun with less than a 30" barrel ), ...resale with a 32" is slightly better.
As folks have mentioned, try to get both,....barrel length is most important,..a Trap gun can have an adjustable comb cut if it doesn't come with one.
I don't know what your price point is,..but there are a lot of used trap guns out on the market,...barrel length being most important ( 30" + ),...bonus if an adj comb is already installed,..if not, have one installed.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You can always get the stock cut so it adjusts, you can't add inches to the barrel in the future. But fit is more important than a couple of inches when it comes to hitting targets.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,898 Posts
For trap, all things being equal, is it more beneficial to get an O/U with and adjustable comb or a couple extra inches on the barrel?

I’m thinking a O/U with an adjustable comb and a 28” barrel vs. 30 or 32” barrel with standard stock.
How did this question come about? That has my curiosity more than anything about the question itself.
What are your thoughts behind the question?

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
I think that the adjustable comb has done more to help shooters than any other add on to a shotgun.
I am like several of the others why not get both and if it were me for shooting trap the barrel would be 32” on an o/u.
My 2 cents and about all it is worth, bottom line is this, it is your money, you earned it, you spend it how you and on what YOU want to, good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
I have tried to shoot trap with a 28" O/U and the 32" works better for me. An adjustable comb is the most important add-on to obtain proper fitting and POI of trap guns for most shooters IMO!

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Its much easier to add an adjustable comb than it is to add additional length to the barrels.

Pat
If you get 28 inch you will need Tron to put it in his "barrel stretcher" and it still needs an adjustable comb. Barrel stretching is complicated, ask any urologist. Makes it thinner and can alter point if impact.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,123 Posts
If you get 28 inch you will need Tron to put it in his "barrel stretcher" and it still needs an adjustable comb. Barrel stretching is complicated, ask any urologist. Makes it thinner and can alter point if impact.
My barrel stretcher (made by Kreighoff) exploded the other day. The guy wanted to change his 26” Beretta silver pigeon into a 34” Trap gun. I knew I was pushing it, but this was catastrophic and now I’m thinking LAWSUIT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did this question come about? That has my curiosity more than anything about the question itself.
What are your thoughts behind the question?

Couple reasons:
1. I’ve seen a couple used 28” O/U with adjustable combs come on the market for a pretty decent discount vs. a 30” or 32” w/o the adjustable combs.
2. In looking for a gun for sporting clays (mostly, but not exclusively trap) I’ve found trap shooters often suggest a gun with *all* the “add-ons” MC or adjustable stock, O/U, 30+ barrel, adjustable LOP, etc.

For someone who has only shot trap for the last 6 months or so, it becomes very difficult to determine which options are more important than others if you have a limited budget.

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
Ballistically, there's not a whit of difference between a 28 inch barrel and a 32 inch barrel. Barrel length is all about personal preference, though a longer barrel is the current prevailing wisdom.

Most think your moves to the target are smoother with the longer barrel, and others tout "length of sight plane."

An adjustable comb allows you to move your point of impact to suit you, and to me, is one of the most important things a proper trap gun should be equipped with.

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
My barrel stretcher (made by Kreighoff) exploded the other day. The guy wanted to change his 26” Beretta silver pigeon into a 34” Trap gun. I knew I was pushing it, but this was catastrophic and now I’m thinking LAWSUIT.
? Stretching a little thing a long ways.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I pick barrel length by how well balanced it is, and how well it swings. For instance, I loved my 30" 3200 barrels. The 32" were just too front heavy. That also applied to Krieghoff. For my 682 barrels, 32" felt the best. For my Perazzi, I had an ideal 34" O/U set. I liked it better than all the others.

Unless you get a professionally fit stock, an adjustable comb should be a priority. It is true that a longer barrel gives you a longer sighting plane. However, your subconscious targeting computer will quickly adapt to whichever length you choose. If you eye is not down the center of the rib, you will have problems. If the comb height is not correct for the POI you want, you'll have problems. A 4-way adjustable comb lets you correct those deficiencies.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Couple reasons:
1. I’ve seen a couple used 28” O/U with adjustable combs come on the market for a pretty decent discount vs. a 30” or 32” w/o the adjustable combs.
2. In looking for a gun for sporting clays (mostly, but not exclusively trap) I’ve found trap shooters often suggest a gun with *all* the “add-ons” MC or adjustable stock, O/U, 30+ barrel, adjustable LOP, etc.

For someone who has only shot trap for the last 6 months or so, it becomes very difficult to determine which options are more important than others if you have a limited budget.
There is a reason the 28” is a lot cheaper, because they are not as popular so are harder to sell. If you shoot a 28 and like it this is good for you, but if you buy one just because it’s cheaper but then decide it’s not what you really want it will be harder to sell.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A 30” barrel should work for both trap and sporting. Most sporting clays models i.e. the new Beretta 694 sporting only comes with 30” or 32” right now.

Barrel length isn’t nearly as important as gun fit for either game. Gun fit is a universal necessity for clay targets. Barrel length is a matter of preference. Probably best to try both options to see what works better for you and go from there.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts