Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I ran across a photo of a mill fixture that looks like a worthwhile project. The photo is in a thread named “Adjustable Comb Jobs” in the vendor forum. The photo was posted by a contributor to the thread Skattergunner. I would like to thank Skattergunner for posting the photo.
Here is my attempt at making one. My test run is on a Thompson Contender butt stock, which does not have a through stock bolt, making it easier to do.
460A8CAB-2E5E-4AC6-80D6-5CE54545026D.jpeg
85BA61C7-0D29-4BC4-B27E-23FDB34B0438.jpeg

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
5B5B0F5F-C701-4812-B65B-8FF98D98322E.jpeg
Made these 20+ years ago, the comb fixture has a leather lining to protect the finish. Stock jigged in fixture with comb cut layout, Sawed out on vertical saw then it goes on a oscillating spindle sander to remove saw cut marks. Next is setup in Bridgeport to mill pocket for the plates I make similar to what Perazzi uses. Then the comb is put in Bridgeport to do bushing holes.
274E7456-1B04-4E27-9464-4ECCB0AA39A3.jpeg

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great fixture!
What a plus to use it in sawing, sanding , milling and layout.
On the example I have, the base plate for the milling machine table is detached, and a 12”x1.5”x1.5” bar is bolted to the butt plate. In the photo you can’t see the threaded holes as they are on the bottom of the butt plate. When the stock is laid flat on the bandsaw table, the bar and butt plate keeps the stock up off the table, with its horizontal centerline parallel with the band saw table. Basically it make a large “L”. Hind sight being 20/20, I would have made the butt plate out of 1” thick material and slightly wider and then recessed the stock mounting holes. That would make the “L’” more solid as a saw fixture.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here is some pictures of the different fixtures that I’ve tried! That eccentric bushing that goes on the plate that attaches to the butt of the stock allows me to cam it around to fine tune it for level.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
really cool!! would like to see other jigs people are using to cut the combs.. Anyone willing to share?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow very nice. It looks like it took longer to make the jig than make the stock cut out. I worked with a guy that had a mount on a pice of plywood and square mounted to it, and used double sided stick tape and rubber seal as a shim and would freehand cut them out in less than 10 mins almost perfect. One lick on belt sander and it was 100% perfect in less than 10! That was in a day when stocks cost less than a used car as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts