Adjustable comb for Beretta 20/28 combo | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable comb for Beretta 20/28 combo

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by davidj, Sep 28, 2019.

1. davidj

davidj TS Member

Help!!! I recently purchased a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 Combo in 20/28ga. I really need an adjustable comb for it so I sent it off to Gracoil. They advised me that there wasn't enough wood to cut the comb and install the necessary equipment. I would really like to keep the wood that is on there. Any suggestions on a stock maker who might be able to help me?

2. K80.5

K80.5 Active Member

Tronspace ?

3. Dale R K

Dale R K Active Member

Davi,
    Recently had the same situation. The front base is the one that causes problems as there is little wood before you are into the stock bolt. I turned an oversize disc so screws could be installed at the outer edges and into solid wood. It took precise layout but worked out good. Big thing is find out how much wood you have to deal with. Someone can do it for you. Dale

4. lastbird

lastbird Active Member

Mine is a 687 combo left hand. Stock turned out OK but had an issue with some receiver screw damage that I had another smith repair, so I will not disclose the smith. The second smith said he could have also done it so there are people out there. I would stick with one who works on high end guns. IMG_20190928_210915.jpg IMG_20190928_210900.jpg IMG_20190928_210915.jpg IMG_20190928_210900.jpg

I had to sand the edges more because the comb edge is much more narrow than a full size gun. The gap is pretty high on your cheek.

5. lastbird

lastbird Active Member

Just noticed a thread a few down about Beretta gunsmith. I have used Coles and Hubbard myself. Call them.

6. ishoottrap

ishoottrap Well-Known Member

I've done some pretty thin combs. One option is to mount the plate to the comb and put the inserts in the stock. If you need the comb to be higher, another option is to have a new comb piece made, I've done a couple roll overs on field stocks that way.

-Scot

7. eyosh

eyosh Active Member

Tron is the guy. Same situation with my Browning ultra xs 28 ga. and Browning 425 sporting 20 ga. Both came out looking like they came that way. Not exactly sure how he does it when everybody else says it can't be done.

Tron thanked this.
  8. TORC12

TORC12 Well-Known Member

To do it right you need to put a wood dowel in stock bolt hole and then drill new bolt hole. Then find a 8 or 9 in bolt, I use the 870 Wingmaster bolt. That will leave you the wood needed for you adjustable comb work.

9. davidj

davidj TS Member

Thanks for all the ideas.

10. msmith

msmith Active Member

Hello, Mark Deprez (www.mdstocks.com) can do this. He relocates the stock hole. His work is excellent . Mike

Jdsniper and MDshotgunner thanked this.
  11. txbuba

txbuba Member

Cole did an excellent job on my 20ga a400 xcel.

12. epmn

epmn TS Member

On pretty much all of the 680 series Berettas I have put adj combs on I have first turned and glued in a 3.5 inch long walnut plug with a center hole into the stock bolt hole. I then make a new stock bolt. That gives me enough wood for a reasonably sized cutout and room for the hardware.

13. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Active Member

686 28 gauge come with a factory adjustable comb. Try Joel Etchen guns in Pa. He may have a takeoff around.

14. davidj

davidj TS Member

Sent it off to Mark this afternoon. I will advise how it turns out. Thanks to all of you for your input.