Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!! I recently purchased a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 Combo in 20/28ga. I really need an adjustable comb for it so I sent it off to Gracoil. They advised me that there wasn't enough wood to cut the comb and install the necessary equipment. I would really like to keep the wood that is on there. Any suggestions on a stock maker who might be able to help me?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Davi,
Recently had the same situation. The front base is the one that causes problems as there is little wood before you are into the stock bolt. I turned an oversize disc so screws could be installed at the outer edges and into solid wood. It took precise layout but worked out good. Big thing is find out how much wood you have to deal with. Someone can do it for you. Dale

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine is a 687 combo left hand. Stock turned out OK but had an issue with some receiver screw damage that I had another smith repair, so I will not disclose the smith. The second smith said he could have also done it so there are people out there. I would stick with one who works on high end guns.
IMG_20190928_210915.jpg
IMG_20190928_210900.jpg
IMG_20190928_210915.jpg
IMG_20190928_210900.jpg

I had to sand the edges more because the comb edge is much more narrow than a full size gun. The gap is pretty high on your cheek.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've done some pretty thin combs. One option is to mount the plate to the comb and put the inserts in the stock. If you need the comb to be higher, another option is to have a new comb piece made, I've done a couple roll overs on field stocks that way.

-Scot

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tron is the guy. Same situation with my Browning ultra xs 28 ga. and Browning 425 sporting 20 ga. Both came out looking like they came that way. Not exactly sure how he does it when everybody else says it can't be done.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
To do it right you need to put a wood dowel in stock bolt hole and then drill new bolt hole. Then find a 8 or 9 in bolt, I use the 870 Wingmaster bolt. That will leave you the wood needed for you adjustable comb work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On pretty much all of the 680 series Berettas I have put adj combs on I have first turned and glued in a 3.5 inch long walnut plug with a center hole into the stock bolt hole. I then make a new stock bolt. That gives me enough wood for a reasonably sized cutout and room for the hardware.

·
Registered
168 Posts
686 28 gauge come with a factory adjustable comb. Try Joel Etchen guns in Pa. He may have a takeoff around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts