Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MX 10RS adjustable comb coming loose. I tighten it down pretty snug, trying to not strip it out. Do I need a new set screw or alteration of comb hardware?

· Registered
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
830 Posts
Check the base piece in the comb. If the screws have been in an out time an time again or over tightened it may have cracked
One thing you might consider is spacers. Make them large so the torque generated by your contact with the comb is born over the surface area of the spacer rather than relying on the point contact of the screws. One set for each height you need, I don't change my comb but do have large diameter Acetel spacers machined to the correct thickness to accomplish this.

-Scot

· Registered
1,159 Posts
First, sounds like you need a new gun.
One for singles.
One for Doubles.
Then use Locktite Blue and the comb on each gun will stay put.
That's a tough one, when you are changing comb height every time you shoot doubles. Try the new gun first. Then use Locktite as a backup plan.
You can always sell the gun if it doesn't work out. Nobody's going to buy the used bottle of Locktite.
It just hit me. Get an exact copy of the gun you already have. My wife doesn't even notice they are different guns. BTW don't walk out of the house with two different cases.

· Registered
15,214 Posts
Vibratite. Turn the screws IN (toward the center of the comb, as if you were tightening them) as far as they'll go, almost until the fall out or they hit the other side of the hardware. Use a toothpick to put some vibratite on the threads 4 or 5 threads back. Let it dry, and turn the screws back out (away from the post hole). Install your comb and tighten. They'll never come loose again and MUCH less of pain to deal with than Loctite.

If you are adjusting the comb multiple times per shoot Loctite won't work anyways, and there's a chance you've adjusted them so much you've worn out the threads (most comb hardware is aluminum and won't last forever esp if you overtighten them every time). You may end up needing to have the holes drilled out and rethreaded to the next larger size so you can start from scratch, the advice on the vibratite still stands.

If you aren't using comb spacers, start. The only thing the set screws need to do is keep the comb from falling off, if you aren't using spacers the screws are bearing the load of recoil as well.

· Ya can't miss with a shotgun
3,181 Posts
Remove your posts and rotate them so the screws tighten against a fresh part of the post. Also, a piece of blue tape along the side of the post where the screw makes contact helps a lot…..there’s likely not enough space in the comb recess to put the tape around the whole post

· Registered
15,214 Posts
won`t a cone point set screw work? are tempered pretty hard like 50 rockwell,should dig in nice.
You really don't want or need the set screws to dig in that much, and depending on the clearance b/w the post and comb insert it can make them an absolute bear to get off. You're better off going the other way and using steel posts and brass or nylon tipped set screws.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.