Trapshooters Forum banner

Adjust the POI on my o/u trap gun

3964 35
Can the POI on my o/u trap gun (Browning superposed 30") be adjusted - Don't want to do it by modifiying the butt stock - Thought there might be someone that could work the bbls or the chokes, etc, etc? Thanks -
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Can the POI on my o/u trap gun (Browning superposed 30") be adjusted - Don't want to do it by modifiying the butt stock - Thought there might be someone that could work the bbls or the chokes, etc, etc? Thanks -
You are going to need to modify the stock. Maybe an adjustable comb and Graicoil. If you are concerned about the original stock find yourself an extra one for the stock mods.

· Registered
295 Posts
I was told years ago Briley did make choke tubes to move the point of impact. Not sure if they do or what they were called eccentric or something similar,but had to be installed the proper way. You might want to call them and make sure.
Never rheard of such a thing. Although I did hear about a guy actually bending a shotgun barrel to make it shoot straight.

· Registered
1,547 Posts
found it............
Excentrix Chokes

Excentrix chokes are a method of moving the point of impact(POI) of your shotgun without having to alter the actual installation of the screw in choke system. In custom fixturing that we have here at Briley Mfg., we have the ability to bore a choke off center so as to alter the POI by as much as 8" in any direction. The tighter the constriction, the further the POI can be moved. Please forward your bbl to Briley Mfg. with detailed instructions on how far you wish the POI moved, in which direction, and at what distance this information is based upon.

Cost on an Excentrix choke is typically $125.

Call 713-932-6995 or email [email protected] should you need further information.

· Registered
812 Posts
Adding an adjustable comb is the most flexible and adjustable method, and it is a desirable modification. Remember, shooting to a point of impact is not necessarily the same as the point of aim. Eye-hand coordination learned after shooting the same gun over and over again..."fixing" the barrels is not a very flexible option...and not as adaptable to your specific poi needs.

· Registered
812 Posts
Another question or two...what shotgun discipline(s) are you shooting? How long have you been doing this and how long have you been using this specific gun for this sport? What is the difference between your POA and POI? Is it consistent? Do you shoot premounted?

· Registered
13,489 Posts
Why don't you just order a Add-a-rib from the company with the same name. They can change the POI on any existing shotgun. Say your current superposed has a 60/40 POI. They can build a add-a-rib and change your POI to Say 90/10 by changing the angle of the ramp of there rib. The higher you change the POI, the higher your rib will have to be built. Your shotgun will have to have a adj. comb. Once you add your new rib, just raise the comb up to get your new beads lined up. Its very do-able. The most you'll need is some extra long posts on the adj. comb. Everything can be changed back, if you ever want to sell the shotgun off down the road as well. Just be sure of the POI you want!!! Before you order your rib. It can't be changed without building a new rib. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff

· Registered
642 Posts
You did not say if you want to raise or lower the POI.

Raising the front bead will lower the POI.

You can raise the POI by adding a non-permanent riser to the comb.

· Registered
2,436 Posts
Wrapid Comb is a cheap way to raise your POI.

· Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Want to move poi without changing the shock.
No problem/
When you want th raise poi simply show more bead by light contact with the comb.

When lowering poi simply crawl the stock until the bead looks the size of a piss ant.
Henry

· Registered
8,714 Posts
Assuming you want to raise POI.

Stick on pad on the comb will do the trick in a most cost effective way, it's not permanent and a lot cheaper and much less guessing work than Briley Excentrix Chokes.

BTW, bending barrel is the last thing you want to do if you don't even want to cut and instal adj. comb.

· Premium Member
8,256 Posts
Besides "Eccentric chokes", Wilkinson, Allow, or Eyster have the ability to manipulate POI.

Never rheard of such a thing. Although I did hear about a guy actually bending a shotgun barrel to make it shoot straight.
Not easy to do with an O/U. You about have to get a heavy hammer involved.

· Premium Member
624 Posts
A Browning Superposed trap gun that has been shot a lot is not ever going to be worth a whole lot of money. My vote is to have an adjustable comb added if you want to shoot it a lot. Or just aim high if it is one round a year just cause you have the gun and you are trying to keep it new looking. I do not see the point of any half measurers between those 2 alternatives. It is a trap gun or it is a collector.

· Registered
318 Posts
Bending the barrel to change POI was only done with a single barrel.
Typically yes and extremely true in most cases but have seen multiple m3200 remingtons adjusted by bending the top barrel in barrel bending press which causes the bottom to follow it as the front hanger moves up vertically. Could be applied to any barrel of similar construction ( Remington m32, krieghoff m32 & k80 as well as kolar).
Not some thing you’d want to attempt with typically soldered side rib guns though lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.