Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a neck fusion and shooting is causing numbness. I feel a more heads up style of hold will be better for me. I was wondering if any have added an add a rib or add a adjustable rib. I would like to know your opinions or other products that might help. I have shot a friends unsingle and Guerini o/u adjustable rib. I was thinking of adding a higher rib to my browning 425.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I have had 3 neck surgeries with fusions so I understand your problem. I searched for a gun that wouldn't cause me pain to shoot. I finally ended with having an add on rib made and installed on my browning xt and that has worked wonders for me. I'm not saying it will work for you but it did for me.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Edited reply:

Raising the rib will help you shoot with a more natural and erect head and neck posture BUT unless you raise the comb the same amount, your gun will shoot lower and you are unlikely to be able to look along the rib without raising your cheek off the comb.

Before doing anything however, I suggest that you raise your gun mount so nearly an inch of the recoil pad is extending above your collarbone.

Then, if that doesn't allow a naturally erect head and neck posture, have a pad adjuster installed. Pad adjusters such as the Jones and 100-Straight allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered and do not change the gun's point of impact and you will need a shorter LOP once the neck lean is eliminated.

Rollin

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Call me at 631 319 6959 and I can help you out reddog with your problem. Joe You are right about pad adjusters Rollin, if you move your pad down and cant it so it fits into your shoulder properly, it will help you feel less recoil. And will stop you from subconciously twisting the gun. But when you add height to your rib, you need to raise the comb to get back to your desired poi. No disrespect intended. Joe

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Rollin made a typo. What I think he meant to say is unless you raise the comb by the same amount you raised the rib, you will shoot higher.

I disagree that you should drop your butt plate so as to shoot with a more erect head. If you do, the rotation of the gun upward during recoil will be greater. That will definitely affect your cheek and possibly your neck as well.

Your best bet is an add on rib and a higher comb. Recoil will be more inline and your cheek and neck will thank you for it. If you have an adjustable comb, you can easily experiment. Tape or rubber band a piece of balsa wood or a section of the small brass rectangular tubes the hardware store sells and put a stick on bead on it. Start with a 1/4" high and go from there. You'll know when you have enough when your neck stops hurting.

If you are the massive cheek weld type, some adjustment will be necessary, because the comb will be catching you in a different place. I swapped my adjustable comb piece out for a rollover type and that cured the problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me its not the recoil. When I put my head down to shoot my arm and hand goes numb. So If I raise the rib and comb will my impact point change?

Jeff

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Actually, bot Rollin and zzt made a typo. Raise your rib without raising your comb will make your gun shoot lower.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Jeff, as long as you raise the comb by the exact amount you raised the bead your POI will not change. That is the approach I would take.

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
zzt, reread your first sentence.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Unless you raise the comb the same amount you raise the rib, the gun will shoot lower.

However the POI will probably change anyway
because changing the angle of your head to the stock will increase the distance between your eye and the comb. The gun most likely will shoot higher.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Go to your local hobby shop.

Get some Balsa strips, some electrical tape, some flat black spray and some straight pins with a large head and have at it.

Head to the patterning board...... (assuming you already have an adjustable comb)

The more taper you put on it the higher it will shoot.

When your happy with the POI you can have a add on rib made.

Worked well for me.

Regards....Gerald

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have tried all the above methods for more erect shooting position.

I think you will be happier with a raised comb and add on rib.

It will keep your hands in a more natural and comfortable position and not bind you up. Lowering the pad gets you there but screws up the dynamics of a natural swing/movement when your hands are moved up, did for me.

And increased recoil in my case, I like the bore center low as I can get it.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
On the other hand...if you like the gun to look like a normal gun when you look down the barrel....just drop the pad. Less expensive to do too. Gun goes up..comb goes up...rib goes up...Neck is relieved.

Country Gentleman has the most adjustable pad adjuster made...It will drop a "lot" if you need it too.

Or fab up your own ...

Works very well for me....with a 14 1/4 LOP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts