Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aware of anyone who can refinish a stock and add grain to it??..I used to know a guy who would do it with india ink, and also a chemical reaction for a more gallery look, but not doing it anymore..Anyone know who might do this or have some examples?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I may be confused but why not buy some wood with the grain you desire?? You can paint a VW the color of a Ferarri but its still a VW.

Matt

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A restock on this particular double would be about $8K

Not gunna happen...gotta be some people out there that do this..Probalby similar to "antiquing" furiture.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
$8K for a restock sounds high to me even on a SxS. But hell i may be wrong.

You realize if that double is that valuable you will completey degrade it by just doing a paint job? To each his own i guess. That being said, there was some threads about stock painting here recently. Try a search on here for stock painting.

Matt

·
Registered
944 Posts
I am like you if I can enhance the wood that would be great. I amsure there are some tricks to the trade curious to see.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a english sidelock so re-stocking is quite high..I'm not ultra concerned about value..I want to enjoy it, and have it look to my taste, not save it for the next guy...Doubht I would part with this in the forseable future anyhow..

Here is a sight I found...I was looking for sometihng like this, but more examples, and other guys that did it, or had experience with it

http://www.larsongunart.com/

There used to be a guy who "dipped" them as well..He started with camo dips but then moved into woodgrain and it looked fantastic, and was fairly priced..He got so busy he is on a hiatus on new work for a while, and I'd like to get this done to have it back by summer.

Thanks

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Try this site i provided above. They do the dipping and have the wood grains. Not cheap but alot cheaper than $8K. Good luck

Matt

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
Bill's right. They make those markers for furniture too and in several shades of brown. It's an artform and if done wrong it can be really cheezy looking. Make sure you plan it out good first. Good luck.

·
Registered
997 Posts
There are a few masters of the art of taking a Grade Perazzi stock (butt-ugly) and turning it into a beautiful stick.... the one I know, who's retired now, used to call it Indian Walnut and he was a true master.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Search the internet. I've seen a stock finishing site that showed how to make a stock look better. I'll try to find it- Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.