Trapshooters Forum banner

Adding a single barrel to my o/u? Which one?

1264 Views 14 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Barry C. Roach
I am using a Kolar O/U and am considering adding a single barrel. I am a one-eyed shooter and use the O/U for everything I shoot. It has a factory #2 stock and fits me well, in my unprofessional opinion. I use the under barrel for trap. For those readers who have knowledge and experience in this area, which barrel makes more sense, the top single, or the unsingle? And, why? Thanks. Or, is it even worth it to add another barrel?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
13,510 Posts
What POI is your current O/U shotgun?

Most trap shooters desire a unsingle barrel. Or bottom single barrel. To get the higher rib on top. They want a adjustable rib to shoot higher POI's as well. If you like your current Point of Impact? Why add a single barrel to your Kolar? The barrel will be different and will take you 3-5 thousand rounds to get used too. Not everyone likes a unsingle. Or they would not make a top single. Or Vice Versa!!! What I think should not matter much to you. What do you think you need to do to reach the next step up the Trap shooting ladder? Change shotgun barrels? Or take a shooting clinic with a pro? You can always ask the pro what he thinks after he see's you shoot, and get the barrel later if need be. Just something to think about. Enjoy your Journey, and Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

· Premium Member
8,267 Posts
I am using a Kolar O/U and am considering adding a single barrel. I am a one-eyed shooter and use the O/U for everything I shoot. It has a factory #2 stock and fits me well, in my unprofessional opinion. I use the under barrel for trap. For those readers who have knowledge and experience in this area, which barrel makes more sense, the top single, or the unsingle? And, why? Thanks. Or, is it even worth it to add another barrel?
Top single.

Everyone can shoot a top single and excel with it to the best of their ability. Not many seem to excel with an u single unless their mechanics are extremely sound (ie Ricky, Harlan, Ohye's, etc).

· Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forget all the above bullshit and call Kolar.......................................
I have found some useful information in the above posts. My intent was to get some general background about what most one eye shooters find best and I appreciate the fact that some experienced shooters took the time to respond.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
Just FYI from another one eyed shooter, I have a KX6 special top single also have a CG summit unsingle combo and I shoot the unsingle barrel really well also, I do prefer my KX6 simply because it is softer shooting but realistically my singles average with the top single vs the unsingle is only 0.05% difference over 1,000 targets with each, it boils down to which ever one you are comfortable with, call Kolar and talk to them they will be more than helpful.

Reactions: jktphd
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.