Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
I added a 3/4" rib to get my head up further. With my preferred POI I have to place my head down a little on the comb which causes my pupils to be above center. Adding the higher rib allowed me to move the comb up more yet still keep the same POI. For me adding the same 3/4" to my comb as the rib kept the same POI. Keep in mind as the head move up the pupil should also be moving down. Not saying it is a 1:1 ratio.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’m a little confused on the relationship between the rib height and comb height. It seems to me that if one were to raise the rib height, AND adopt a more head upright shooting position, then the comb would not have to be raised the same amount as the rib. The vertical distance from the pupil to a horizontal line drawn just under the cheekbone clearly increases if the head is rotated from a head down position to a head upright position. I think that’s why my instructor keeps emphasizing “head down, head down” when I raise my head between shots and miss the second target.
Your instructor is correct. Why are you raising your head? Is the recoil hurting your cheek or is your head position just uncomfortable? I think you are suggesting rotating your face up ("adopt a more head upright shooting position") but maintaining the same cheek pressure. I don't think the geometry of this will be comfortable, as it will put your neck flatter/more straight out from your body with your head bent up more at the end of your neck. This might be a good place to try raising your comb.

I added a 3/4" rib to get my head up further. With my preferred POI I have to place my head down a little on the comb which causes my pupils to be above center. Adding the higher rib allowed me to move the comb up more yet still keep the same POI. For me adding the same 3/4" to my comb as the rib kept the same POI. Keep in mind as the head move up the pupil should also be moving down. Not saying it is a 1:1 ratio.
I understand and agree with everything you say, except for this part - "Keep in mind as the head move up the pupil should also be moving down". I don't follow. How do you move your head UP and your eye/pupil DOWN?

EDIT 02/20/18 - Duh! I understand what you meant. Sorry I was daft that day.

Reactions: Andre Brazil

·
Registered
8 Posts
I should have left the sentence about raising my head between shots off. It obviously didn’t help in explaining my question. I do think that the position of the cheekbone on the stock will be in essentially the same place whether a person shoots with their head more down or more erect, the cheekbone will just be rotated some. The eye socket will move up as the head becomes more erect. I disagree with with 1madss about the pupil going down-the eyeball simply rotates in the socket. So it seems to me that a more erect head position increases the distance from the comb to the line of sight where the rib should be located. I hope Rollin Oswald will chime in on this. (I tend to lift my head between shots not because of pain, but because I sometimes like to admire my first shot when I occasionally hit the target)

·
Registered
535 Posts
When someone puts their head down on the stock it does not go straight down but is leaning forward to make contact with the comb. The more you put your head down on the comb the more your eye will rotate up in the socket causing your pupil to be higher in the socket. Not centered. As you lift your head the pupil will be more centered in the socket, the entire purpose for the higher rib. The upper portion of the circle of my eye socket is a longer distance from my check bone than the center of the circle, correct? Again I am not saying it is a 1:1 ratio but the comb will have move to maintain the POI. For me raising the rib in 1/8" increments required moving the comb the same amount to maintain POI.

Rather than theorizing I would suggest trying it. Its cheap and does not take much time. Raise the rib without raising the comb and see what happens. The gun absolutely will shoot lower. Raise the comb and it will raise the POI. The concept is the same as a low rib just with a higher front sight.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This thread is just for us now - The OP hasn't been back in a week and didn't answer anyone's questions about "Why" he wanted to raise his rib. Oh well.
1madss - I fully understand the relationship and dynamics between rib and comb positions, and have all 3 of my Trap guns comfortably shooting to the same POI. I just wasn't following your description on eye position. Thank you for explaining.

Reactions: Andre Brazil

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Andre, please think about this a second. If you raise the front bead and do nothing with the rear sight (your eye) your gun is going to shoot lower than an old Mossberg. You have to change the comb to maintain the same POI you currently use. Usually, the comb posts are not nearly long enough to raise that comb an inch. You must solve that problem. The other thing to do is to make a high rib out of wood and tape it to your barrel. Then you can actually decide if you want to do this for real (or not).
Gary , if the comb posts are not long enough to raise an inch , should i use the adjustable butt plate to complete this high ? thank you

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Andre
Get yourself some some longer posts.
If you raise the rib a 1 inch parallel you need to raise the comb the same height parallel to maintain the same POI.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
77 Posts
I only ask bc i shoot with older trap shooter and they all tell me that for trap shooting yoh want a high shooter so you can sed the bird. Ive shot a lot of sporting clays and it seems like all those shooters want flat shooting guns.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Sorry I misread your post.
I like a flat shooting gun. About 5 or 6 inches high 40 yards.

Everyone needs to find what works best for them.

There are All Americans who shoot a flat gun (3-6inches high @ 40 yards.)
There are All Americans who shoot a high shooting gun (12 inches or higher @ 40 yards.)

You need to find which suits your style.
It may change as you gain experience.

There is no one size that fits all.

Its All good

West

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ive always had flat shooters. I have shot 1 or 2 high shooting guns but its hard to tell if you like something only shooting it 2 or 3 times. I shot a high shooter with a release trigger and i really liked the release trigger but around here its almost impossible to find anything like that.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Your instructor is correct. Why are you raising your head? Is the recoil hurting your cheek or is your head position just uncomfortable? I think you are suggesting rotating your face up ("adopt a more head upright shooting position") but maintaining the same cheek pressure. I don't think the geometry of this will be comfortable, as it will put your neck flatter/more straight out from your body with your head bent up more at the end of your neck. This might be a good place to try raising your comb.

I understand and agree with everything you say, except for this part - "Keep in mind as the head move up the pupil should also be moving down". I don't follow. How do you move your head UP and your eye/pupil DOWN?

EDIT 02/20/18 - Duh! I understand what you meant. Sorry I was daft that day.
Wow lots of expert advice!
There is an awful lot to learn here. I don't think that I have the time to question all of your quotes, but I will help you figure this out. Newbies, flat shooting gun, high shooting gun simply means point of impact. You need a higher point of impact for trap. Whoever said if you raise your rib you need to lengthen your stock, very funny, not true. And you can't raise your poi by moving your pad. I haven't shot with beads, or reference the distance between them since 1976. It's what works for me. See a stock fitter not an instructor, many so called instructors know nothing about stock fitting. A proper fitting gun, will give you a consistent gun mount and by knowing what your gun patterns and your sight picture which should never change you will break birds with practice. Sight picture bird resting on top of the flat of the rib. Not floating the bird or covering it, or any other stupid guessing game. Consistency. Add height to the rib to get your head in a more comfortable position, and to get yourself to look through the center of your shooting glasses, reduces fatigue and allows you to see the bird quicker in your peripheral vision. Adjusting your comb up allows you to fine tune your poi. Yes up, anything you add to the rib will lower your poi raise the comb brings the poi up. Experiment with different heights and when you find the correct height pattern the gun and see where it's shoot. BTW all of the experimentation should with the comb in the lowest position. Why, if you start with the comb half way up and you need 5/8 or higher chances you will need to raise the comb higher and when you swing the gun you might have the tendency to take your head off the comb. And you don't want the comb to look like a ar-15 carrying handle.. If you need more answers or advice , you can call me. Joe

·
Registered
954 Posts
I´m thinking about adding a 3/4 or 1 height fixed hi rib in my trap shotgun . Acctualy i have a POI that fits to me in my low rib gun ! My question is : if i add the hi rib , should i raise my comb too ? or do i have to let it the same way it is ? Thanks
If your point of impact is where you want it right now, raising the comb will be required to keep the poi the same after you raise the rib.

I’m thinking you want to achieve a more heads up position for your shooting?

Some people claim the bird is easier to see with the higher rib. To me it is . But I think it is because I use prescription lenses, and the heads up position keeps the eyes looking through the center of the lens rather than looking thru the top of the lens. Hence my focus is better.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I ordered a 1/2" add a rib for my MX8..I purchased three extra sets of taller post to raise my comb. Even the tallest post (1-1/4") was not tall enough to get a higher POI with that rib!
But the good thing is, I took the rib off and it seems the POI is now where it should have been all along. With out adding that rib I would have never known!
By the way, when I orderd the add a rib the owner told me of all the scenarios (lower POI) and all. great guy!.
Mike

·
Banned
5,166 Posts

I´m thinking about adding a 3/4 or 1 height fixed hi rib in my trap shotgun .
I wish I got here sooner to ask these questions. Are you here in the states or Brazil? Are we talking about bunker or american trap. Full length rib or the short one on the end of your gun. If you are going yo use any higher rib you will mostly need to raise close to the change in height, Wrapping the comb or getting longer posts seem to be the two obvious choices.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts