Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m thinking about adding a 3/4 or 1 height fixed hi rib in my trap shotgun . Acctualy i have a POI that fits to me in my low rib gun ! My question is : if i add the hi rib , should i raise my comb too ? or do i have to let it the same way it is ? Thanks

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I´m thinking about adding a 3/4 or 1 height fixed hi rib in my trap shotgun . Acctualy i have a POI that fits to me in my low rib gun ! My question is : if i add the hi rib , should i raise my comb too ? or do i have to let it the same way it is ? Thanks
Not trying to be rude, but by your question, it's pretty obvious that you understand very little about shotgun fit.

Before you do ANYTHING, you would be well served to research this subject.

Now, to answer your question, if the gun you are shooting now fits you (which I seriously doubt unless you have had a session with a gun fitter and had it fitted to you), if you raise the rib, you will need to raise the comb.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Andre, please think about this a second. If you raise the front bead and do nothing with the rear sight (your eye) your gun is going to shoot lower than an old Mossberg. You have to change the comb to maintain the same POI you currently use. Usually, the comb posts are not nearly long enough to raise that comb an inch. You must solve that problem. The other thing to do is to make a high rib out of wood and tape it to your barrel. Then you can actually decide if you want to do this for real (or not).

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with Claypoppy and Gary and would ask - Why do you want to add the high rib? Assuming the low-rib gun does fit you, and you are comfortable with the POI? Are you trying to change the POI or just like the look? I have a long neck and need a dropped pad and high comb to comfortably mount and shoot my guns. I only use a high rib on these guns to bring the POI back Down to where I want it.

Reactions: Andre Brazil

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not trying to be rude, but by your question, it's pretty obvious that you understand very little about shotgun fit.

Before you do ANYTHING, you would be well served to research this subject.

Now, to answer your question, if the gun you are shooting now fits you (which I seriously doubt unless you have had a session with a gun fitter and had it fitted to you), if you raise the rib, you will need to raise the comb.
Yes i´m a new trapshooter with many doubts ! Yes , i had a session with a gun fitter months ago !

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Claypoppy and Gary and would ask - Why do you want to add the high rib? Assuming the low-rib gun does fit you, and you are comfortable with the POI? Are you trying to change the POI or just like the look? I have a long neck and need a dropped pad and high comb to comfortably mount and shoot my guns. I only use a high rib on these guns to bring the POI back Down to where I want it.
Couse i hear that with a hi rib i wil have a clear and fast view of the clays ... is that right ?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Andre,

If your stock fitter did a good job of fitting the gun to you, be happy and leave it alone. Also, not everyone can successfully shoot a high rib gun.

As others pointed out, when you raise the rib, the comb needs to be raised the same amount. That is, providing you want to avoid raising your cheek off the existing comb to see and shoot targets. If you do that, your head will flop around during swings because, without your cheek hanging on the comb for security, it is not anchored to the stock and will be prone to flopping (not a technical term).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Couse i hear that with a hi rib i wil have a clear and fast view of the clays ... is that right ?
Can you not see the clays now? You're talking about putting hundreds of dollars into a gun that already fits you (I think). How are your scores? If you're hitting 23 of 25 now then maybe that slight difference would be worth it. If you're in the 'teens I think you need more practice than add-ons. My two competition guns have high ribs and my back-up has a low rib but more butt pad drop. I have them all set to the same POI (12" high @ 40yrd) and the low-rib doesn't affect my view of the bird at all. How much coffee I had, or rain, or annoying squadmates - now they affect me.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I imagine this would be done to get a more "upright" head position. Even though by raising the rib and comb up to give you the similar sight pictures is done, there still will be a learning curve adjustment, IMO.

Good point Phil, especially if you are raising it by 3/4" or more.

·
Registered
33,580 Posts
You can get a higher POI raising the comb, shooting off the tip of the barrel. I have been doing it for years with some guns I have that do not have high ribs or custom stocks. I got use to the space between the beads and simply rely on “feel”instead of bead alignment. Proper gun mount includes practice as well as fit to get the same sight picture every time.

·
Registered
981 Posts
This is my 1100 which gets some play-time (not my main gun).
I've attached to the rib an "add-on-rib", I ripped from a piece of wood, painted black and two-sided taped to the gun.

Doesn't look real good, but it works. Best part about this is it tells ya' if it's the correct height and taper for your shooting style (POI), without spending a bunch of money. This is the rib that I've ended up with, I tried quite a few before this one (now maybe you get the idea, trial/error). With this a man can now provide the end results to someone that can make you an "add-on" or full rib replacement that would be something to be proud of.

Note the comb needed to come up to mate with the extra height of the rib.

This stuff is fun to play with, everyone at Metro Club gets a laugh outta this too. But I think they will admit, this gun will break targets :).

Matt Nicol
Gun Shotgun Air gun
Gun Firearm Shotgun Rifle Trigger

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
It would have looked a little better IMO, if you conformed the shape to the original step rib, and kept it on the rib instead of over the receiver. Hey, whatever works in this game is key, not what someone else thinks is better for you. I have done the same with a wood add-on rib .

·
Registered
981 Posts
KS-5, you're correct, but I'm not sure if the "playing" around is finished as yet.
This was very quick and easy, and doesn't need to look pretty for me right now.
The length going over the receiver is intentional, another experiment.

All I'm trying to do is show Andre Brazil that IF he wants to do some experimenting of his own it's easy and do-able.
Then he can figure out what works for him, before spending very much hard earned cash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m a little confused on the relationship between the rib height and comb height. It seems to me that if one were to raise the rib height, AND adopt a more head upright shooting position, then the comb would not have to be raised the same amount as the rib. The vertical distance from the pupil to a horizontal line drawn just under the cheekbone clearly increases if the head is rotated from a head down position to a head upright position. I think that’s why my instructor keeps emphasizing “head down, head down” when I raise my head between shots and miss the second target.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts