Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have used AccuWeather's RealFeel temps as a useful "shoot/don't shoot" criteria for that last few winters. If AccuWeather says RealFeel Temps will be below 20 degrees, I don't shoot. I feel that criteria has served me well in winter.

This summer I have started using RealFeel temp too. I set the "don't shoot" criteria as above 90 RealFeel temp at the start of shooting. Earlier in the week Saturday was predicted as a beautiful summer day with moderate temps. But as it got closer to Saturday the dew point crept up and consequently the RealFeel temp as well. On Friday night the predicted RealFeel temp was 90 degrees at 9 a.m. :-(

So I get up at 7 a.m. (I would leave for the club at 8 a.m.) and predicted RealFeel temp was still at 9 a.m. was still 90. At 11 a.m. it was 98 degrees. I stepped out on the shaded porch, there was still light fog/haze, and it was almost unbreathable. I decide to pass on shooting.

Now (1 p.m.) Accuweather says the RealFeel is 103 and the thermometer temp is 86 (86/98 at 11 a.m.). I'm telling myself how smart I was to stay home and post at Trapshooters.com instead. But I have to get the mail and it is several hundred feet away. As I walk to the mailbox I keep thinking, "this isn't that bad, I could have shot in this." Heck, when I returned I even watered some flowers and pulled a few weeds and didn't suffer too badly from the heat.

I think I need a new RealFeel temp "no shoot" criteria. Heck, before there was Accuweather.com and RealFeel temps, temps in the 80s wouldn't have scared me away from shooting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am the weather man in our group. We do not shoot if there is lightening but otherwise everyone ignores my predictions but quit early if it is too hot.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
If I stopped shooting when the real feel was 90 or above, I'd never shoot from May - Oct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts