Trapshooters Forum banner

AA's are not my Dad's AA'a

2960 20
Just returned to trapshooting after a 30 year layoff and discovered what Winchester had done to their "premium" hull. It appears to me that the shotwad contacts the base wad too early and actually form a void above the powder. Am I seeing this correctly. Obviously it depends on how much powder you are putting in the shell, but I was putting 19.5 Gr of Green Dot.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
It all depends on how you are "seeing" it. Are you cutting open a loaded hull and looking at how things stack up? So far as I know, the base of the wad slides past the top of that base wad and contacts the powder such that there is no "void" between the top of the powder and the bottom of the wad. Also, as far as Winchester AA hulls are concerned, nothing has changed in the last 3 years. The last major change was more than 15-years ago.

· Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It all depends on how you are "seeing" it. Are you cutting open a loaded hull and looking at how things stack up? So far as I know, the base of the wad slides past the top of that base wad and contacts the powder such that there is no "void" between the top of the powder and the bottom of the wad. Also, as far as Winchester AA hulls are concerned, nothing has changed in the last 3 years. The last major change was more than 15-years ago.
Yes I did cut open a loaded hull and the wad had caught on the basewad and gone sideways. It was a CB1100 which I now know is best used with a tapered hull. What possessed me to cut it open was that it seemed to have extra room at the top and I found that it had cocked sideways and gone into the "empty" void.

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Now we're getting some place. The hulls have changed. You need to shorten the stack height. Do you have any 1 1/8 oz. wads available. If so, use some of those instead of the 1 oz wad and see if that fixes the problem.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Not sure what your problem is here....My handicap load is 20.0 grains of Green Dot, an CB1118 wad, and 1.125 of shot. Stack height in the "new style" AA hull just fine and they crush targets. This is the only hull I reload and have no issues besides not getting as many reloads as I did with the old style.

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
Not sure what your problem is here....My handicap load is 20.0 grains of Green Dot, an CB1118 wad, and 1.125 of shot. Stack height in the "new style" AA hull just fine and they crush targets. This is the only hull I reload and have no issues besides not getting as many reloads as I did with the old style.
And you likely have partially collapsed crush sections in your wads

· Registered
1,183 Posts
And you likely have partially collapsed crush sections in your wads
That is a published load from Alliant. I also use their published load using a CB1110 for my 1oz 700X loads in the same hull. My crimps look perfect and the shells never sound off, nor have I had a FTF due to this load. A bad primer once every 10,000 or so.

Ran a 94 from the 27 and a 99 from the 16 last weekend with those recipes. Crushed wad or not, they work.

· Registered
61 Posts
The current CB1100 wads have a taper around the edge allowing them to slide over the base wad. Wads without this taper can (and will) catch on the internal base wad and cause problems.
If you've been away for 30 years and your wads are of the older vintage, get a bag of new CB1100s and give it a try.
I have a mix of HS and CF AA hulls, any issue with the new tapered CB1100s in the older hulls? Haven't noticed any but haven't dissected any either...

· Registered
407 Posts
The current CB1100 wads have a taper around the edge allowing them to slide over the base wad. Wads without this taper can (and will) catch on the internal base wad and cause problems.
If you've been away for 30 years and your wads are of the older vintage, get a bag of new CB1100s and give it a try.
I have no problem with CF hulls and CB1100 wads. The HS hulls are another thing. I trade my AAHS hulls for STS hulls. I wish Winchester would go back to the CF hulls.

· Registered
901 Posts
Now that Federal has bought Remington (ammo company) you have STS (CF) and Federal has just introduced a NEW CF target hull that is thought to be a "federal Maroon" STS. Good CF hulls are still available, and remember there is Rem Gun Club's which are a "economy version" of STS.

However the NEW AA----- reloaders either love em or hate em, but I hear once you tweak your loader and get the "powder/wad/shot" stack height tuned in some guys cant find fault with em at all.:)

· Registered
3,703 Posts
I will say again , I have never been able to make a wad catch on the basewad of a AA, and I have tried. I have used many wads that were not tapered at the bottom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.