Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody having issues with factory AA's with what seems like a weak powder charge? I have had three super handicaps and one lite handicap shell in the last month.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
And what ever you do don't let AA's get wet. Got caught in a downpour on a dove hunt. AA's got wet. Had all kinds of misfires and bloopers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I bought ten flats of AAs that my dealer brought back from this year's Grand. I've had at least one blooper, and sometimes as many as 3 bloopers, in every box from these flats!! I've gone through five flats so far, and there are defective shells in all five flats. My barrel has a bunch of "junk" in it after I shoot one of these shells. I assume it is unburned powder. The defective shells will break the target, but there is a marked change in recoil and the sound the shells make. The defective shells also appear to be slower. Ammo companies used to make special runs of the ammo they sold at the Grand in hopes of securing wins with their ammo. It would appear Winchester didn't pay much attention to their shells this year. I really like AAs, but I worry about using them for competition in the future. I just plan on using up this defective ammo for practice this winter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've recently gone through a flat of the Super Handicaps. While I didn't have any bloopers I did notice that a few seemed slow. But I have to agree that they've left a bunch of junk down the barrels.

I've reloaded them and will use the hulls until I pick up a few flats of Gun Clubs.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
RE: a few flats of Gun Clubs.

My 1100 knows when I'm shooting Federal Top Gun. On and off problems for the past two years.

My wife and I shooting sporting clays last week. One failure to chamber in one gun and two failure to chamber in the second gun.

* Just purchased the case a few weeks back.

Like the price, but going to have to pass for any serious sporting clays shooting.

Shoot Kent, Rio or Nobel and never a hiccup, to include my reloads.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've almost exclusively shot AAs for the past 4 years. I've never had any issues until this past summer. I had at least 20 "light" sounding shells - all from the Kim Rhode light 8 flats and from a specific lot #. I didn't have this problem with light 7.5s or superhandicap loads.

·
Banned
1,526 Posts
I bought 30 flats earlier this year and have yet to have an issue, from what I have been hearing the issues have all been shells after June

·
Registered
951 Posts
I shoot very few new AA's but I shoot with a gentleman that shoots all new one's and by shooting with him the rest of the squad really notices the sound difference between his shells.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Sorta sounds to me like Winchesters factory loads might have a cocked wad hanging up on that infernal lip too, now and then??

About the worst internal shotshell case I've ever tried to load!! I either give them away or throw them when I do shoot a few, I don't need that kind of shell help.

HAP

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Wow, this is surprising to hear. Especially the Grand and Kim Rhode shells. You guys should seriously think about contacting Winchester with your lot numbers from the flats and boxes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to concur with Hap.

I reloaded AA hulls for the first time this weekend and it sure was a pain to get that crimp right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
HAP
Claybuster has winchester wads with a lead-in taper on the powder cup that reduces the possibility of catching on the insert in the HS hull. Try em you'll like it.
Randy

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Hap's probably right. When you get a bunch of unburned powder residue down your barrel after a bloop, it's usually a cocked wad.

That's the responsibility of Winchester's QC.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
A friend that I shoot with had numerous soft loads at my state shoot (first part of June). He is an All American and kept shooting them even though they cost him some targets. He purchased them in May.

The problem was cocked wads as Hap stated.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Just today my wife shot two of the boxes of AA's that was given away at Sparta this year for NRA renewal. Of the 50 shells there were, 3 or 4 that I noticed the sound was sometimes like you almost hear an echo come out of the barrel and was much lighter than normal. I watched two shot charges on one station that I would estimate at around 700-900 FPS, but the target did break but not with a lot of force. How the hell do some of these American companies keep going down in quality and still able to survive?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had the same problem with AA 2-3/4 light 8's starting in may . Shells were purchased at Sparta walmart. I turned in nearly 2 flats at the winchester bldg. during the grand. shells were replaced by ups delivery from winchester several weeks later. I spoke with Donnie Barton . He was very nice but had little explanation for the problem. many light shots and many occasions where i could see the shot clear the house by only 20-30 ft. Jack Reeves

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
Every ammo company has a problem once in a while. I've had problems with every brand that I've ever bought over the 40+ years of buying trap loads. To a company ... Remington, Winchester, Federal ... they all reacted to their problem properly and with speed.

I believe that how a company reacts to it's problems is the true cut of their jib. There all good ... but none are perfect. My good friend and former Federal representative always liked to say, "any of the shells are better than all the shooters." ... as long as they don't have a defect in their manufacture.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts