Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have AA Brass bottom shells getting a bend or wriggle in them on crimp station. Using Clay buster 3118 wads. about one out of every eight. Reloaded some Remington
Gun clubs and they were perfect with same exact set up.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Never used a 3118 wad but, a gun club is a straight walled hull. Nothing obstructing the wad as it is pushed into the hull. A AA has a tapered base wad that may be catching on the 3118 as it tries to get further in.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
If you are talking about the hulls buckling about midway in the sides, yes. It's a stack height problem. What powder are you using? The fact that the loads works well in the GC tells me this is your problem. Let us know more about your load and we can suggest some solutions.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just checked the ClayBuster site. The white 3118 is for tapered hulls like a AA or more expensive Remingtons. The red 3118 is for straight walled hulls like a gun club. Nebs, could you reword that so I know what you are trying to say please ?

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Just checked the ClayBuster site. The white 3118 is for tapered hulls like a AA or more expensive Remingtons. The red 3118 is for straight walled hulls like a gun club. Nebs, could you reword that so I know what you are trying to say please ?
He is explaining to you that:
Gun Club Hulls are Tapered.
Same as Winn AA's STS's & Nitro Nitro 27's.
MG

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks for the translation. I know that STS and Nitros taper. I had never noticed that in a Gun Club but I will be at the range tomorrow and I will check again.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Are the highlighted words your additions or assumptions, or is that comment directly from the Claybuster site?

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Reword what? I made 2 posts. The first was directed at the OP and the 2nd at you. I don't know how to reword the 2nd to make it any clearer.

To the OP, I see this is your first post! Welcome to TS.com.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
No need to check. They ARE tapered. The new AA shells are straight wall with a different base wad than the old compression formed, tapered AAs.
The different basewad in the newer AAHS hulls mimic the effect of a tapered walled hull even though technically the hull is straight walled. The hulls take tapered wall-type wads, such as the WAA12.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Nebs don't need to reword anything he is correct on what he said and you are wrong all Remington hulls are tapered hulls
I never said "all Remington hulls are tapered hulls" because I know it's not true. There are all manner of straight walled Remington hulls. All I refuted was his assertion "a gun club is a straight walled hull." Are you having reading comprehension issues?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If you are reloading on a MEC you may have to make a couple of adjustments to the starting crimp station. It will take a few tries to get it correct. You may have to adjust the last 3 stations. Just do so gradually and not all at once. The crimp station was the one that was ultimately causing my issues.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
If you are reloading on a MEC you may have to make a couple of adjustments to the starting crimp station. It will take a few tries to get it correct. You may have to adjust the last 3 stations. Just do so gradually and not all at once. The crimp station was the one that was ultimately causing my issues.
If the OP has the problem I described above, trying to adjust one's way out of it will lead to baldness.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I bet you are using a bulky powder. If you had some old AA CF hulls, it would fit just like the recipe says. But the new AAHS hulls need either a denser powder, or a slightly shorter wad so that the stack height is not too tall. Decide if you are going to use a different powder, or a different wad in those AAHS hulls.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts