Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a recent thread on this , but it did not answer what I need to know . I have recently come into thousands of once fire aa hulls ,there are several different styles . the first I think are the oldest the brass has an aa that has a box around it and the hulls are stamped western . then I have barrels full what I think are the problem hulls they are not marked hs they are all printed 1 ounce 71/2 extra light . they have a seperate off white or grey base wad . Are these the hulls that are a problem Are they safe to use as a once and done hull ?? The prior post I read said that hulls with a block printed around the aa were a problem I have a bunch of those marked trap and some skeet and they appear to me to be cf style hulls . I load on an 800 plus are any or all of these a problem ??
I have ton of other options however I have about 5k of these and dont really want to toss them , but also dont want problems . shooting them out of over under so at least I would likely see a stuck wad in the barrel BUT???

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I don't reload them, many here do, and will be along shortly to advise. The HS hulls certainly are not trash, just segregate them from the CF hulls. They don't load the same, don't have near the room in them, but are fine hulls AFAIK. I think you could load them more than a once and done hull, but if you ever get them mingled in with your CF hulls, you will pull your hair out during loading sessions.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Get a good desk lamp or flashlight, and two large bins. Look down inside of each hull, and toss the ones with a separate piece of plastic in the base (AA-HS) into one bin, and the ones without a separate piece of plastic in the base (AA-CF) into the other bin. Sell any you don't want to reload. There are enough fans of both on on this forum alone that you should have no problem selling them.
All AA hulls are OK to reload multiple times-they DO reload differently, and there are many posts here about that very subject. The main difference is that the separate base in the AA-HS makes it a tight squeeze for bulky powders like Red or Green Dot when using certain wads, and this can cause problems. I load both, and separate my hulls when I get home or the next day, right into the separate bins. This does not mean I relax my vigilance when loading, I also inspect every hull before sticking onto my MEC. I load the same powder weight of Green Dot in both, but use a different wad for each.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Sort out your AA compression formed hulls first. They are obviously one piece, no separate base wad. A bright light helps see through the hull. Hopefully there are enough for a batch loading of them. These are my favourite hulls.

I have never had a problem with 1st generation AA HS hulls but my loader presses down on the base wad when seating primers. Your AA High Strength Hulls with a box around the AA, or those, obviously AA HS but not marked as such on the brass head should be segregated as lot 2 ( the 1st Gen type). Use them or not, dependent on your own opinion of their safety of use.

Lot 3 should be AA HS hulls marked as such on the case head. A great hull, but needing a different recipe from your AA CF hulls due to slightly less capacity.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys I have been loading the cf hulls for years , and also the hs ones This is just the first time ive had the non marked hs hulls , I have read about the base wad problems and just unsure if its a real problem , or a case of one time 15 years ago somebody knew a guy type of thing , If it wasnt for the amount of perfect hulls I came into I wouldnt bother . Truth be told I likely have more hulls than any normal person would have .

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I'm not there yet, but I know people that have well over 10, 000 hulls. Some of them might not be normal, however. :p

If you're worried about the 'transition' HS hulls, pitch them out in the sorting phase. Sounds like you'll still have enough hulls.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
I'm not sure what your issue is. Is it differentiating between AAHS and AACF? Or is it differentiating between the various flavors of AAHS? If it's the former, the CF have sort of a matte, dull finish to the plastic while the HS have a shiny, slick almost oily finish to the plastic. If it's the latter, the 1st gen AAHS hulls had a black "box" printed around the "AA" on the plastic on the sides of the hull. Later HS had either the AA underlined or no marking around the AA.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I am trying to figure out is are the first gen aa hs hulls problem to reload as far as loose basewads , both the red base wads and the white/gray ones both with no hs stamp on brass

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
All I am trying to figure out is are the first gen aa hs hulls problem to reload as far as loose basewads , both the red base wads and the white/gray ones both with no hs stamp on brass
Only the 1st gen AAHS hulls have been identified as potentially having a problem with loose basewads.

One theory attributes the problem to certain reloaders that insert the primer using pressure coming from the bottom (PW/Spolar) causing the basedwad to push upward, as opposed to the pressure coming from the top (Hornady/MEC, maybe others), which would keep the basewad from moving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Titewad powder and a Dillon press and I load both with 1 once and shoot them both until they won’t hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are both the red base wad and the white considered first generation if they dont have hs stamping ?? and does the same apply to the silver shells

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Are both the red base wad and the white considered first generation if they dont have hs stamping ?? and does the same apply to the silver shells
I don't believe the color of the basewad is part of the analysis. The box around the "AA" is what you should look for.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The other option is to blow the smoke out of the barrel and check that it is clear, EVERY TIME.
Also have a wad knocker on hand, so you do not hold up the squad too much.

If I loaded on a PW, I would just dump the 1st Gen boxed AA if I had an ample supply of other hulls. Especially if the other hulls are Remington's STS/Nitro or even Gun Clubs.

Jason

·
Registered
257 Posts
A couple of you mentioned that HS hulls load differently from CF hulls. I'm not sure that's correct. Lyman's #5 combines all loads for HS and CF as does the Hodgdon online data. Alliant lists loads for Winchester "plastic hulls" but doesn't distinguish between the two hulls. The data I looked at is for 12 ga, 1 1/8 oz.

So the OP may only need to distinguish the 1st generation HS hulls and combine all the others.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Lyman is wrong on that, as is Alliant's data. They do not factor in for bulky powders. I will tell you from personal experience that loading bulky powders such as Green dot and Unique in AA-HS hulls using WAA-12 wads (or CB clones) will get you shells with petals folded over the top, bad stack height, and crimps that pop themselves up after a day or two. I switched to DRA-12 wads, and that solved the problem.
Winchester uses a very dense powder, WSH, for their handicap loads in AA-HS hulls.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am the one that told of this issue a few yrs. back I was loading on a PW 375 and when shot came over top of hull I checked & base wad had been pushed up when seating the primer. PW does not have anything to hold wad down like Mec that pushes on base wad to seat primer. PW pushes primer up from bottom.I had a few members here got on me like crows waiting for road kill. They said I was probably a REM Rep. I still load on the PW but deprime & seat new primer on a MEC JR & just skip the prime station on the PW.I only shoot this in a break action gun and look down the barrel I remove the fired hulls. I do believe Win. solved the problem of base wad coming loose on the newer ones

·
Premium Member
8,273 Posts
Although the data listed for ALL AA hulls is safe, many listed loads just will not fit into the AAHS hull. Any powder drop that requires anything larger than a Mec #32 bushing, your going to have stack height issues. I'd even step out on a limb and call the #31 bushing the limit when using conventional wads. Downrange has a replacement wad that solves these issues.
MG

1 - 20 of 69 Posts