Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded my first AA/CF light gray hulls. I had 10-12 of 50 finish like these.
1oz - 16.4 Alliant ExtraLite, (avg drop) - TGT 12 - Chedd primer - #8. I adjusted final crimp up 1 turn same result. I changed to CB 1100-12 same result. Both are published Alliant recipes. Using MEC 600 JR. I would add that I was loading AA/CF red hulls with published load data with WST powder and never saw this concern. Is it possible the hull is weaker composition in gray vs red? Before I change too many adjustments or load more I want to seek opinions. Thanks.

· Registered
2,248 Posts
1oz - 16.4 Alliant ExtraLite, (avg drop) - TGT 12 - Chedd primer - #8. I adjusted final crimp up 1 turn same result. I changed to CB 1100-12 same result. Both are published Alliant recipes. Using MEC 600 JR. I would add that I was loading AA/CF red hulls with published load data with WST powder and never saw this concern. Is it possible the hull is weaker composition in gray vs red? Before I change too many adjustments or load more I want to seek opinions. Thanks. View attachment 1755191
1oz - 16.4 Alliant ExtraLite, (avg drop) - TGT 12 - Chedd primer - #8. I adjusted final crimp up 1 turn same result. I changed to CB 1100-12 same result. Both are published Alliant recipes. Using MEC 600 JR. I would add that I was loading AA/CF red hulls with published load data with WST powder and never saw this concern. Is it possible the hull is weaker composition in gray vs red? Before I change too many adjustments or load more I want to seek opinions. Thanks. View attachment 1755191
Make sure your final stage station is not catching the edge of the case while coming down. index problem looks to me.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Your stack height likely is a bit taller with the extra light. Can you post a pic of what the hull looks like after pre-crimp and before final crimp. I'm inclined to agree with the suggestion above that maybe the pre-crimp is too low.
Came here to say the same -pre-crimp looks light.

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
The hulls might be longer. Switch back to red and see what you get from your Mec Jr.

I once measured 100 hulls w a micrometer and was surprised at the variation I got. I grouped them by size and they formed a bell shaped curve. Didn't matter what brand although one brand's curve was flatter and wider.

You could separate good from bad, shoot them and then mic them.

· Registered
6,252 Posts
Try slowly running a shell through the pre-crimp and crimping process. Indexing on a MEC600 Jr. is manual, so adjusting the nut on the pull handle might help; (Translation; slow down, Speedy Gonzalez!) It looks like you are not putting the rim into the base on either the pre-crimp or crimp station, and shells like your examples are the result. Also check the pre-crimp and crimp dies for build-up of debris; I notice some occasionally in my crimp die.

· Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tips on this. Shot them all today and I marked all of the over crimped shells before firing. I measured all and variance was 2mm for high low between all 50. I’ll adjust the pre crimp and reload the bunch and see what I get.

· Registered
205 Posts
I had the same problem, asked the same question here about 6 months ago.

I blame the hull. It only happens with AA/CF's all others are fine. They chamber fine I just shoot them and don't worry about it.

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
Thanks for the tips on this. Shot them all today and I marked all of the over crimped shells before firing. I measured all and variance was 2mm for high low between all 50. I’ll adjust the pre crimp and reload the bunch and see what I get.
And then you may need to change it back for the other hulls. You could just load one or the other. That's what I do. Another option is to not worry about it as mentioned by others. It is fun to figure it out though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.