Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked an event at my club this past Saturday and since I was the only person there on-time besides the range master, I casually drank a coffee and scavenged for AAHS hulls like I normally do when I visit. I did OK 馃憤馃徎. Harvested about 250 red and another 100+ of Handicap grays.

Tonight I鈥檓 sorting and inspecting and discarding what鈥檚 not once-fired and I come across these - once-fired with factory primers but red base wads. I鈥檝e not seen this before and that immediately gets my attention.

Is there history on this that anyone can share? I鈥檝e harvested and reloaded many thousands of these, but never came across the red wad.

And yes, I AM an engineer, so they are immediately suspect in my mind. 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is someone came out to shoot the event and had to dig into their old stock for shells. One box of these is all I found. These aren't known for separation? That's my concern. I'd rather toss them if they are.

Registered
My guess is someone came out to shoot the event and had to dig into their old stock for shells. One box of these is all I found. These aren't known for separation? That's my concern. I'd rather toss them if they are.
Every one of these hulls of this first generation I have, has a clear gray base wad in the gray hulls, clear red base wad in the red hulls. I have never seen hulls like you pictured, but it might have been a short run using combination of colors due to shortage of materials, change up on the line or final run of hulls during phase out for HS line. I have shot thousands reloading and never had a separation, but all my reloaders press the hull down onto the primer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are NOT 1st or 2nd gen HS hulls. Those have Winchester on the case head and to not have "HS" marking. The hulls you showed are Gen IV hulls. Both the AA and HCP/Super Sport hulls have the pinkish-red basewad. No worries, load them up.
That's good news Coach. Thanks for that - I'll give 'em new life. (y)

Registered
These are NOT 1st or 2nd gen HS hulls. Those have Winchester on the case head and to not have "HS" marking. The hulls you showed are Gen IV hulls. Both the AA and HCP/Super Sport hulls have the pinkish-red basewad. No worries, load them up.
That's good news Coach. Thanks for that - I'll give 'em new life. (y)
Must be something wrong with my eyes. Last picture in post 3 clearly shows HS on case head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.