Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a bunch of 20ga aa hs hulls but I can't seem to get my stack height correct. I'm using aa hs hulls 15.7gr of 20/28 and windjammer blue 7/8 wads with 7/8oz of number 9. My crimps I can get are really high and if I go any lower it crushes the shell casing. And if I want 2 days some of the shells start to come u crimpped. Has anyone had experience with this and have any advice for how to load these. Only thing I can think of is to run 3/4Oz shot drops in my aa hulls and run my sts hulls with 7/8oz. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I had the same problem. The problem is the wad. I have switched to the yellow Downrange DRV20. Crimps are good now, but HS 20 hulls are weak and after a couple loads they will start to collapse anyway.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Also had the same problem but found the rem rxp20, 7/8 oz nickle plated 7s, and 17.8 gr longshot produced an excellent crimp as well as a lethal load. 6 quail today with some great reach even with imp. cyl. Rxp20 really seemed to iron out all the bad crimps and bulges.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Unless they changed them, Orange Dusters are too long and will cause the problem that he is trying to resolve. Contact Kevin at Downrange and see if he will send you some samples of the DVR-20 wads. I am sure that this wad will cure your problem. Bill

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think you need to make sure the was is seated fully against the powder, maybe even compressed slightly. I run this exact same load with the blue Windjammers, and don't have any issues on my Spolar. The machine was set up for this load.

·
Premium Member
7,003 Posts
I love the downrange DRV20. It works fantastic in 20ga AA HS Hulls and cost less than
1/2 the price of the Remington RXP 20 which is only available from Remington.
MG

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
MG is correct when he says the RXP cost more. I haven't bought any in years, so I can't comment on how much more they cost than other wads at todays prices.

Back when I was reloading A LOT of 20's and competing in skeet, there was about a .50 price difference per 500, which I was gladly will to pay because they worked so much better.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Premium Member
7,003 Posts
MG is correct when he says the RXP cost more. I haven't bought any in years, so I can't comment on how much more they cost than other wads at todays prices.

Back when I was reloading A LOT of 20's and competing in skeet, there was about a .50 price difference per 500, which I was gladly will to pay because they worked so much better.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!
Mr. Claypoppy,
Would you believe over $60.00 per case! It's hard for me to comprehend.
That's the only reason I quit using them.
MG

·
Registered
362 Posts
Unless they changed them, Orange Dusters are too long and will cause the problem that he is trying to resolve. Contact Kevin at Downrange and see if he will send you some samples of the DVR-20 wads. I am sure that this wad will cure your problem. Bill
Loaded many thousands of this shell with OD. No stack height problems for me with orange duster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts