Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
22,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the ATA sending me ( and everyone else ) email promoting these Winchester loadings? They have copper plated shot and they are plainly illegal to use in ATA sanctioned events.

Rule book section plainly states they are illegal.

2. Loads that contain nickel or copper coated shot or tracer loads. However, the use of lead, steel, bismuth, or other composite non- toxic shot materials shall be allowed. Any gun club allowing shot materials described in this Rule, other than lead, shall be required to cover or shield all hard surfaces on trap fields which are known, or reasonably believed, to cause pellet ricochet with material which will prevent the shot pellets from rebounding and/or ricocheting.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
See if this works --

View this email in your browser.

Thank you for being a member of the ATA! You are receiving this email courtesy of one of our valued sponsors.

Thank you for being a member of the ATA! You are receiving this email courtesy of one of our valued sponsors. If you choose to unsubscribe, you will still receive emails that include information on all ATA news & happenings.

Our mailing address is:
1105 East Broadway St.
PO Box 519
Sparta, IL 62286

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
They are illegal for ATA shooting but I guarantee that a lot of people will be using them for fun shoots like Protection, Annie Oakleys, follow the leader, etc. Don’t kid yourself many will use every advantage they can get a hold of. I want to shoot them at the sporting clay range.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
You guys are not reading what Dawgmary posted.

"Thank you for being a member of the ATA! You are receiving this email courtesy of one of our valued sponsors. If you choose to unsubscribe, you will still receive emails that include information on all ATA news & happenings."

The ATA sells there mailing list to it's sponsors. They in turn put these out, with the deception that they come from the ATA.

MG

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I responded back to the ATA basically with what Flashmax said, and mentioned they should send a follow up email to all ATA.

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
2. Loads that contain nickel or copper coated shot or tracer loads. However, the use of lead, steel, bismuth, or other composite non- toxic shot materials shall be allowed.
If the rule ended right there I think you have a legitimate basis to claim they are not allowed.

However, the rule went on to state:
Any gun club allowing shot materials described in this Rule, other than lead, shall be required to cover or shield all hard surfaces on trap fields which are known, or reasonably believed, to cause pellet ricochet with material which will prevent the shot pellets from rebounding and/or ricocheting.
This qualifying sentence states that they are not prohibited to use. The club simply needs to have ricochet protection in place. If protection is in place they can be used according to the rule you posted.

Back to your question why are you receiving the promotion? Your name (along with every other member) was sold to generate revenue.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
If the rule ended right there I think you have a legitimate basis to claim they are not allowed.

However, the rule went on to state:

This qualifying sentence states that they are not prohibited to use. The club simply needs to have ricochet protection in place. If protection is in place they can be used according to the rule you posted.

Back to your question why are you receiving the promotion? Your name (along with every other member) was sold to generate revenue.
Copper plated shot is illegal for ALL ATA events, period. There is NO grey area.
They're illegal .
MG

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
Copper plated shot is illegal for ALL ATA events, period. There is NO grey area.
They're illegal .
MG
I will be the first to admit I am not the resident expert on all the rules but the rule Flash posted does not make the use illegal, rather they are permitted IF protective measures are in place.

Not trying to argue with you Mark, just reading and interpreting the rule as posted.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
Cost? Wouldn't be surprised if they're $2-$2.50 more per 25rd/box. Winchester's trying to create their own market with better profit margins. They were making similar shotshells in 24gm loads for bunker, but stopped doing so about 6 years ago.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts