Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished another A400 makeover. Per usual it started off as the typical Blue anodized color. I stripped it, polished to a mirror, then hard anodized it this time in Red. Came out more like the USC Trojan burgandy to me but pretty cool. Next I took the plain jane stock and faux finished in some character to give a more distinguished looking grain. I was real happy with the results. Finished it off with a polyurethane gloss. Whataya think? JT
20150624_114023001.jpeg
20200419_161334.jpg
20200529_073639.jpg
20200529_073657.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have a blue A400. I really like the way the wood came out. What do you mean by "faux finished?" The mystery wood on the factory stocks often looks terrible if it is refinished. How did you do yours?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
"Faux" just means "Fake". Once I filled in most the open grain. I smeared with my finger various dark oil stains and a little help from a black "Sharpie" and let it dry. Dip your finger in some rubbing alcohol to help aid in the smearing/feathering (grain creation). If you dont like what you did, just wipe it off with some rubbing alcohol and start again. Let it sit and look at it again later..... if you need to, just add more or less. The beauty is very subjective and that's what's so cool about it. Once it dried I applied an oil based Polyurethane finish(Home depot). Let it dry and sand out any imperfections. Repeat until the wood is smooth then reapply final coat. Wet sand w/1500 grit and buff at about (1000-1500 rpm) with polishing compound. Since you can only do so much in a day (drying time etc) it will take s e v e r a l days to complete. Heres some pics right side up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks. I know faux means fake I was just wondering how you finished the stock. Thanks for the explanation. The factory wood usually looks pretty bad when you strip it. Thanks for the explanation of how you put some color back into the stock. Looks GREAT.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
How did you strip off the blue? Is the factory blue finish just paint?
The factory blue is an anodized finish. The way to strip it is with a warm caustic solution. When you put it in a caustic solution if that solution is going to strip it, it will foam, never leave it unattended in a caustic solution. In a plating shop strip area, it will start out in hot caustic paint strip, held by wire and the end of the wire will not be let go of. After foaming for a bit it will be rinsed in clean water and dipped in nitric acid then rinsed again. The nitric acid just washes the part to where you can see if any anodizing is left. When it is fully stripped then you can polish or prep for any aluminum alloy finish you want.

Looking at the picture of the action in the white with the shiny side and matte finished radius. Nickel plating that makes for a durable almost indestructible finish.

Al

Reactions: Dead-A-Pair

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding the stripping of the blue anodizing {58 Perazzi}... the shop that re anodized it for me also did the stripping for me (I believe the process is similar to AZ Als description). When I got it back it was a very dull aluminum. I then polished it and returned it to the shop to have it re anodized.

The pad {Yellowfin} is a 1" Kick-ezz. Grind to fit.

Check it out: I just refinished another A400.
It started out blue as well. This time its a 30" 20 gauge with a thick 1.25" Limb saver pad. Its a charcoal grey and garnished with red Briley accessories. I plan on using it for Dove hunts. See pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Beautiful job also on the dove gun.
I shoot an A302 upland and have several 391 Urika that handle Sporting and 5 stand, but Now just got an XCel and I’m really liking it a lot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its a shop in Anaheim Ca.
Total cost for stripping and anodizing was about $160. Remember, the stripping just removes the old anodizing. I then block sanded the receiver with 800,1500 wet sand paper to remove any mill marks and imperfections. Then polished it to a mirror with a compound. The anodizing doesnt hide anything so get it right the first time. . JT

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I actually sanded out most of the stippling so it has a smoother consistent texture as the rest. JT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts