Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have a stock bolt that will not budge. Its a 1979 BT-99 with a flathead screw driver slot on the bolt. I don't think the butt pad has been removed until now. I bought it about two months ago and just wanted to remove the stock and clean and inspect the receiver. I tried in my vise with wooden jaws to hold it and I can not get it to move. Anyone have any idea's

Thank you,

Troy

·
Supporting Vendor
9,979 Posts
Large flat screwdriver with 3/8" head. BE SURE that it is centered, or you can crack the stock!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Years ago I found a socket at Sears that was a flat screwdriver. You put it on a socket wrench and the socket head keeps the screwdriver blade centered. You can put a lot of torque on the bolt that way. JPM

·
Registered
553 Posts
while stock is in vise , have someone tap on end of screwdriver while you try turning it . this has worked for me many times . good luck K.C.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Make certain you have a broad blade screwdriver as it's very easy to have a narrow bladed driver slip off the screw head and wedge between the head and wood making you think you're on the screw head, this is what causes the wood to crack.

If you confirm you're blade is on the screw head and you can't turn it with the receiver clamped in the vise, you may try a hammer driven impact driver to break it loose,if this doesn't work go see a good gunsmith.

I suspect you're wedging the blade between wood and screw head.

Surfer

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see real good down there as to what I am doing and I do have a large screwdriver and the receiver is in the vise vertically and a block of wood underneath for support. I think I need a T-handle screwdriver of some sort.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have a drag link tip for a socket drive that has been ground to a perfect fit for the slot. Works great for any slot head stock bolt..fills the hole and cannot slide off the head.

Big Jack

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
They are not kidding about cracking the stock. Watched a buddy do it to a nearly new BT. Made me sick to see. Made him cry. Right tool for the job.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I drill a hole through the screw driver and place another screw driver through the hole to make a T grip.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
I could rarely get a standard screwdriver to work on my BT. An old gunsmithy told me to find an old lugwrench that has a tapered "screwdriver", used to pop the hubcaps off, on one end. It was so much easier to find the slot. Much less chance of wedging the blade between the wood and the bolt and breaking the stock. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Go buy yourself a screwdriver that is the biggest that will fit in the hole and the screw head. Craftsman usually has a square shank that you can use a large Crescent wrench to do the turning with. Stanley and some Snap-On have a hex head just below the plastic head that a wrench can go on as well. Make damn sure your in the slot and well centered as you push downward and apply the wrench to turn it out. I would hold the receiver in a padded vise or wooden jaws and shine a light in the hole to be sure you centered in the slot before using the wrench. Some are stubborn but I have always been able to get them off like this. DO NOT over tighten when you reassemble the stock because there is a big difference between froze in place and actually tight. Let us know what happens and feel free to return the screwdriver and get your money back when your done. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Try tightening in the TIGHTEN direction real hard. Sometimes a threaded fastener that won't loosen will tighten slightly, then will loosen.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I still have the tire iron under my bench for the one bolt that would not come loose...13 years ago. Have never needed it since.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
I use a tire iron and also a large square shank screwdriver, whichever one is closest at the moment.

I can't find the small drag link socket Sears used to have, that one is perfect. Anyone that knows of an equivalent let me know.

HM

·
Registered
91 Posts
When you get the tire iron or large screwdriver that will fit the slot there is one more thing that I like to do. Take some form of tape, whatever you have handy and wrap it around the shank in two locations. Wrap it to a diameter that is a slip fit in the stock bolt hole. This will keep everything centered without getting the tip wedged between the screw head and the stock. Give it a try.

Rex

1 - 20 of 38 Posts