Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Shot yesterday at 10 degrees...couldn't make the shoot today at -5. Looks like fun.....

Is it me or is that house out of level?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I also shot today at Saegertown and boy was it cold. I thought that the birds were really hard to see. There was one 49 on the scoreboard when I left. Pretty good shooting for a day like today.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Trap 37,

Thanks for the pix. I grabbed it and added it to the League's web site. It is in the Leagues "News" page. I am surprised that it didn't get more comments on the Leagues Blog.

Even on this "interesting weather day" we still had 93 shooters. And after it was all over, we still only had the one 49 as the high gun of the day. (Please do not ask what I shot or I might start crying :-(

·
Registered
509 Posts
We are having very cold weather at the Valley of the Moon Trap Club here in Sonoma, CA.

A few days ago it got down to 55 degrees and I had to wear a jacket, and for a little while I even had to wear gloves. It was awful.

But tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 64, which is not too bad, since the temperature at the club is usually 5 degrees higher than the forecast.

BTW, what is that white stuff that's laying all over the ground in the photo?

Ted K.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Did you have to wear snowshoes if you wanted to shoot singles?

·
Registered
367 Posts
tcr1146, yea, we shoot at Albion twice a year in our Lake and Valley league. Talk about some bad weather shooting. It snowed so hard there one year that I had 2 in. of snow on my jacket when I got done shooting.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
A couple of years back, while having a Lake & Valley shoot at Albion, a storm came in. The front hit just as we were starting the second field for our last 25 targets. I was on the last squad of the day. It is a fifty bird shoot. Well that storm hit with such strength that one the first station you could hardly see the birds once they got 10 or 15 yards from the trap. By the second station you could hardly see the trap house.

The squad left the line since it was impossible to shoot, or to score or even to see if anything might wander into the zone of fire. That day those of us on the line got the shoot recorded as being "Present" but with no score recorded for the second 25. The squall held its strength for so long that there was no chance to wrap up.

So if you ever hear of "Lake Effect Snow" in the states bordering the Great Lakes, you can get an idea of just how much snow can come down in such a short period of time. This is due to Lake Erie, in our case, being warm and thus putting a lot of water in the air when a front moves over the lake. Then when that heavily moisture loaded air hit the climbing land elevation, it cools and dumps the moisture as snow. There are usually bands of squalls that set up and do not move much and if you happen to be under one of them well..... Yet, maybe as little as five miles away, there may be almost no snow. Truly interesting weather!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts