Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Keystone Shooter
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I was involved in shoot off, my first. I was shooting the Zippo Classic at the Bradford PA Gun Club in Bradford. We were shooting the final day’s 100 handicaps. I’ve only been shooting trap for 3 1/2 years. My son got me started on this “addiction” back in April of 2016. I shot my first 25 straight in January of 2017 and my first 50 straight that June while shooting an ATA league shoot, but have never been involved in a shoot off, until this past Monday. I shoot at 20 yards for handicaps and tied for second place in that class. When I was notified of the shoot off I nearly lost it. I’ve never had to shoot one on one against another person for a trophy. So here I am involved in a shoot off at a pretty large shoot. Talk about a nervous wreck. I’m shooting off against a much younger guy than me. The only shells I had left in the car was my backup box of 100 rounds of Estate 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz 8 shot 1145 FPS that I use to shoot singles. So they will have to do. We shot 25 birds at 20 yards. High score wins. There were six or seven shooters from clubs down my way there watching. One of the guys comes up to me before I take the line and says; look, just shoot the way you normally do. Just like you did when you shot that 25 straight not long ago. Well we started and my opponent missed a bird, and I’m saying to my self don’t let up, concentrate on the bird. He misses a second bird. I ran them, all 25. I turned around to congratulate my opponent for shooting with me, and there behind the 27 yard line in the grass on the hillside there must have been 25 or 30 people cheering and clapping. I was in shock. The Wife of the guy who gave me advise came up to me to congratulate me at the end and said her husband remarked to her after watching me shoot the first five birds “Watch, he’s gonna run em”
My wife took a picture of me and my opponent before we walked off the line.
I know, it was only for 2nd place (runner up) but for me it was my first time ever being involved in something like this. I received a engraved Zippo Lighter with the class, date and finished position.
What an experience!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Great job chief! Congratulations!

Reactions: Township Chief

·
Premium Member
8,296 Posts
This past weekend I was involved in shoot off, my first. I was shooting the Zippo Classic at the Bradford PA Gun Club in Bradford. We were shooting the final day’s 100 handicaps. I’ve only been shooting trap for 3 1/2 years. My son got me started on this “addiction” back in April of 2016. I shot my first 25 straight in January of 2017 and my first 50 straight that June while shooting an ATA league shoot, but have never been involved in a shoot off, until this past Monday. I shoot at 20 yards for handicaps and tied for second place in that class. When I was notified of the shoot off I nearly lost it. I’ve never had to shoot one on one against another person for a trophy. So here I am involved in a shoot off at a pretty large shoot. Talk about a nervous wreck. I’m shooting off against a much younger guy than me. The only shells I had left in the car was my backup box of 100 rounds of Estate 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz 8 shot 1145 FPS that I use to shoot singles. So they will have to do. We shot 25 birds at 20 yards. High score wins. There were six or seven shooters from clubs down my way there watching. One of the guys comes up to me before I take the line and says; look, just shoot the way you normally do. Just like you did when you shot that 25 straight not long ago. Well we started and my opponent missed a bird, and I’m saying to my self don’t let up, concentrate on the bird. He misses a second bird. I ran them, all 25. I turned around to congratulate my opponent for shooting with me, and there behind the 27 yard line in the grass on the hillside there must have been 25 or 30 people cheering and clapping. I was in shock. The Wife of the guy who gave me advise came up to me to congratulate me at the end and said her husband remarked to her after watching me shoot the first five birds “Watch, he’s gonna run em”
My wife took a picture of me and my opponent before we walked off the line.
I know, it was only for 2nd place (runner up) but for me it was my first time ever being involved in something like this. I received a engraved Zippo Lighter with the class, date and finished position.
What an experience!
Way to go Chief!
Congratulations,
MG

·
Registered
679 Posts
Way to go!!!!! :) Congratulations on winning your first shoot off. You can be proud. Keeping your head in the game is tough, especially as you notice your opponent dropping a target or two. Thanks for sharing your story, and good luck in your next shoot off! - Jeff

·
Registered
493 Posts
Congrats Chief .... the zippo shoot is one of the best shoot in Nw pa. My son was the zippo handicap champion 2003 as a sub Jr. And I won the same event with a 99 in 2005... we both have Zippo handicap champion lighters

Krieghoff200
Steve

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Good job, Chief!

I always looked at shoot-offs as free targets!!!!

Also, one thing that I absolutely love about clay target sports, and it's this simple...

If you don't miss, you can't be beaten!!

If I got to the shoot-off, you were going to have to work because I damn sure wasn't going to just give it to you!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Keystone Shooter
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6DA46167-7AC4-4706-B90F-08EEF92E8A12.jpeg
Congrats Chief .... the zippo shoot is one of the best shoot in Nw pa. My son was the zippo handicap champion 2003 as a sub Jr. And I won the same event with a 99 in 2005... we both have Zippo handicap champion lighters

Krieghoff200
Steve
Yes Steve it’s a pretty big, well attended shoot. My cabin is only 40 minutes away just south of Ridgway, the county seat of Elk Co Pa. I usually try to attend that shoot and the other big one up there on Labor Day, the Case Knife Classic. Shooter come from everywhere, to shoot up there. It surprised me how good the attendance was despite the virus issue. The guy who took first place shot a 97. We had great weather. Nice friends there too.
Thanks again
Chief

1 - 20 of 104 Posts