Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you are yearning for a Ruger 77/22, you better move fast. Due to many buyers expressing a preference for their lower-cost American series, Ruger has discontinued the 77/22. I had a model 7002 on order from my Ruger media contact but learned this morning that the rifle and its rotary magazines have been discontinued. I was able to find a new one on GunBroker and there were five dealers selling them but every local shop with which I spoke can no longer obtain that model.

It's a shame that classic rifles like the 77/22 are becoming so hard to find. Most out there have stamped metal trigger guards, magazines that extend from the stock, matte finishes or synthetic stocks - or all of the above. The 77/22 was one of the very last available.

Ed

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Cooper still makes the 57M in any trim level and configuration you prefer. Just a bit more money than the 77/22 and other mass produced .22 LR bolt rifles; but you only go through life once!

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
A friend of mine has a 77/.22 and loves it.

I bought a 77/.17. It's a tack driver and a good looking little rifle.

It's too bad they are being discontinued.

Reactions: o-hale

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the quality 22s that were attractively priced seem to be an endangered species. I have two Remington 541-Ts - one sporter and one heavy barrel. Like the 541-S before it, they're pretty salty when you find a nice one today.

The sporter has wood made for me by Remington's Custom Shop with 20 coats of hand-rubbed oil finish when I bought it about 30 years ago. Like all those rifles, it has a match-grade barrel and is very accurate. Guns like that aren't available today unless you want to spend four figures or close to it.

Ed

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ed,
You are right on about the endangered species list. When I stop at a gun shop, the first rack I browse are the .22's. Once
you have owned and shot a "classic" .22 rifle, the majority of newer manufactured rifles do not have the same lure. The 77 is a classic in my mind. It takes more than a dollar and a dream to step up to a Cooper or Anschutz.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
CZ 455 (current models), or CZ452 or CZ453 (older models) are good rimfire rifles for the money. Sometimes you hit a lottery and get a gorgeous stock.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the CZ line a year ago when shopping for a left-hand bolt gun for my wife. The American model came close but they didn't have any on hand or in production at the time. However, I was turned off by the comb's drop and the stamped steel trigger guard. Nice guns for the money, though.

Ed

·
Registered
863 Posts
A friend of mine has a 77/.22 and loves it.

I bought a 77/.17. It's a tack driver and a good looking little rifle.

It's too bad they are being discontinued.
See image: Left to right. 77/.22, 77/50 muzzleloader, 77/.17. MSRP of the rimfires was just recently under $1000.00. I bought both of these for around $300.00 each used but like new several years ago. Both on endangered species list?. The muzzleloader was only manufactured for 8-9 yrs. partially due to a inherent blowback design issue which can easily be cured with a modification to the bolt and breach plug. It was offered in blued, all weather and wood, synthetic and laminate stocks. All 3 rifles are high quality firearms and have 3 position safeties and the Ruger integral ring base mount system.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today's MSRP for a 77/22 is $979.00. I paid $656.07 for the new 77/22 I ordered. It is model #7002 - gloss blued with a walnut stock.

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts