Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Keystone Shooter
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I was involved in shoot off. My first, and I won with a gun I just purchased this past November. I bought this gun because when I mounted it, the gun just felt right. It fit! Sure I had to make fine adjustments with the comb, and spend time at the pattern board and shooting single birds from position 3. After I got it fairly tuned in for me I began noticing improved scores at the practice range.
Rollin Oswald, in his book “Stock Fitters Bible” states” The benefits of shooting a gun that fits along with the ability to use a correct form include retarding and reducing fatigue, virtually eliminating recoil pain and, generally, maintaining better eye alignment with the rib during swings to targets” Is sure enough true. I have been following Waddhopper’s quest for the perfect fitting trap gun. Many of his revelations have come through to me also. A good fitting gun, one that shoots where you’re looking, doesn't beat you up, allows a good comfortable stance so you’re not fatigued after shooting hundreds of rounds at a registered shoot, and allows you to move smoothly with your swing to the target. In other words, it means everything.
Believe it when you hear on here about gun fit. A good fitting gun is a joy to shoot and watch your scores improve.
Chief

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,912 Posts
Trying to get a gun to fit and finding one that does are two totally different things.
I blew through a flat in less than two hours yesterday afternoon with winning consistency and zero fatigue. My game is now officially 100% mental. Zero questions about gun and setup. Awesome feeling.

And good job Chief;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Chief how true this is! Congrats on your shooting and having a gun that feels right every time you mount it. Been down that road and Rollin Oswald's book and some people on this site sure helped me also! I finally have a gun that is adjusted to fit me and shoots where I look, and no fatigue. Might have to 'thin' out the safe now. Good Luck with your shooting!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I am only in my 6th year of competitive shooting, and on my 2nd gun. But but a pretty gun is hard to resist, but I was always taught by Grampa. Function over Form. It is the same with everything. Just because it looks good, doesn't make it work any better.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Trying to get a gun to fit and finding one that does are two totally different things.
Amen! Preach on brother!

Think about what you are trying to do when you buy a gun and expect it to fit. In almost all cases, it doesn't. Here's an example of what I'm saying.

Guns are built to certain specs. People aren't.

Imagine going through life where there is only 1 size clothing and shoes....
One prescription of glasses for everybody.....
One car with one seat and mirror position....

I think you get the idea.

This is the reason I say that IMO, clay target shotguns, or for that matter, ALL shotguns, should have as many adjustable features as possible.

Even with this, I've encountered guns that just didn't fit as I would run out of adjustment.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I purchased The Stock fitters bible this morning and can’t wait for it to arrive. I shoot a bt-99 and shoot it fairly well. For an “off the shelf” gun I really liked the feel of it. For my next gun, and also looking to upgrade for my son, I plan to put a lot more thought into our fittings. Sounds like this book is exactly what I need do that correctly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
At 6 foot 7 inches, 320 pounds with a 38 inch sleeve, and left eye dominate, I have never bought a shotgun that fit. Over the years I have used a camouflage Beretta SBE left hand and added foam here, tape there, spacers (a bunch) and have done OK with it. Ugly for sure but I have run 100 straight with it a couple times.

I would like a “pretty” gun, but the dimensions from the SBE transferred to a SilverPidgeon just don’t shoot the same.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Paraphrase from OJ Simpson trial. "If it don't fit, you can't hit."

I am very fortunate in having several off-the-rack guns that fit. Other than very low cheekbones, am blessed with fairly average dimensions.

·
What squad am I on?
7,912 Posts
I blew through a flat in less than two hours yesterday afternoon with winning consistency and zero fatigue. My game is now officially 100% mental. Zero questions about gun and setup. Awesome feeling.

And good job Chief;)
Put a lot of beef in the freezer from yesterday’s meat shoot and finally found myself winning shoot-off’s again after a year of struggling.
Awesome feeling for sure...

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Put a lot of beef in the freezer from yesterday’s meat shoot and finally found myself winning shoot-off’s again after a year of struggling.
Congrats.

There is so much satisfaction in shooting well.

It does wonders for the mental side of your shooting, and because of this, allows you to do it over and over again. Of course, while doing this, you must also have strong shooting fundamentals and hard target focus.

As I've said before, if shooters would stop worrying about all of the trivial things (as most seem to do), and work on achieving and maintaining the 3 things I've mentioned above in their shooting, they would be so much better off.

Let's be perfectly clear about one thing. Practice is important, but to achieve consistent, lasting success, you MUST develop a strong mental game.

Wad, where you are mentally right now is an awesome place to be.

ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

·
Keystone Shooter
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great stuff! Very happy for you Wad!! For sure, like Claypoppy said, where you are now, mentally, is a great place to be. Confidence in your gun and most important, confidence in yourself. Keep it up!
Chief

·
Registered
76 Posts

And good job Chief;)
What’s your current set up?

·
What squad am I on?
7,912 Posts
What’s your current set up?
My current setup is irrelevant because it's different for everybody but here's what I have...
CG Summit, had it about a month now with about 1200 rounds so far. LF tube for everything. Set up initial POI at 13 yards on grease board, fine tuned for centering my shot on actual targets.
Factory stock, only thing I changed was the pad, removed the one it came with and replaced it with a Microcell.
Reloads: 1oz at 1190 for singles and 1st shot, 1-1/8 at 1200 for handicap.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
What makes a good shotgun has little to do with the steel. It's all about the wood, also known as the Stock. Once you get the stock set/configured for your body, face, stance, etc, you have all you need for your shotgun ... except ammo.

Mighty fine shooting Chief. Well done!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Congrats.

There is so much satisfaction in shooting well.

It does wonders for the mental side of your shooting, and because of this, allows you to do it over and over again. Of course, while doing this, you must also have strong shooting fundamentals and hard target focus.

As I've said before, if shooters would stop worrying about all of the trivial things (as most seem to do), and work on achieving and maintaining the 3 things I've mentioned above in their shooting, they would be so much better off.

Let's be perfectly clear about one thing. Practice is important, but to achieve consistent, lasting success, you MUST develop a strong mental game.

Wad, where you are mentally right now is an awesome place to be.

ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

I you want a serious test of mental game development, just shoot some bunker.

·
What squad am I on?
7,912 Posts
If they have the bunker running at the Ohio State Shoot you bet your butt I'll give it a try!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If they have the bunker running at the Ohio State Shoot you bet your butt I'll give it a try!
Try it by all means, but if you're not going to take it up seriously then quickly forget about it afterwards.

Being the sort of inquisitive fella you are, it'll likely open up a whole can of worms that won't be beneficial to your ATA trapshooting progress.

Even though I'd shot "bunker" to quite a good standard as a teenager, after a 30 year layoff mainly shooting English, NSSA and Olympic skeet, it took me three years of dedicated practice, many competitions and many lessons from a five times Olympian team mate who only shot "bunker" to get back into the top category. It's as different from ATA trap as chalk and cheese.

·
What squad am I on?
7,912 Posts
Try it by all means, but if you're not going to take it up seriously then quickly forget about it afterwards.

Being the sort of inquisitive fella you are, it'll likely open up a whole can of worms that won't be beneficial to your ATA trapshooting progress.

Even though I'd shot "bunker" to quite a good standard as a teenager, after a 30 year layoff mainly shooting English, NSSA and Olympic skeet, it took me three years of dedicated practice, many competitions and many lessons from a five times Olympian team mate who only shot "bunker" to get back into the top category. It's as different from ATA trap as chalk and cheese.
I’ll try a round just to say I’ve tried it. That’s about as far as it’ll go.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I've shot bunker quite a few times, and I agree that it's a great clay target game.

But, no matter what clay target discipline you are involved with, to excel at it takes mental discipline.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts